Songwriter brings talent to Grammys

With the sound of the music blasting through his headphones, he quickly grabs a pen and paper and jots down the first things that come to mind.
    A memory, a heartbreak or a defining moment in his life is where Bilal Akhtar, 22, business economics major, said he gets his inspiration.
    Akhtar began writing songs in the 11th grade and has been busy working with an independent recording company called Wright Records signed under Interscope.
    Now a member of the Grammy Association, Ahktar has worked on a record for rapper Bryan King, and worked with King at California Sound Studios.
    “It was cool because it was my first time being in a studio and being in control,” Ahktar said.
    Ahktar is currently working on getting a record deal by producer Alex-da-kid, who has written songs such as “Love the Way You Lie” by Eminem and “Airplanes” by B.O.B.
    Born in Pakistan, Ahktar spends time writing rhythm & blues and pop music.
    Lately, he has been writing music based on love songs.
    “It’s easy to write about since it comes naturally to me, yet I don’t want to be the guy who writes just love songs,” Ahktar said.
    Aspiring to attend Harvard University, Ahktar has been thinking and writing about songs that could help people in college.
    “I don’t want to write songs in a direct way, just good messages that will help them realize there are certain things they need to do in order to become successful,” Ahktar said.
    One of his previous professors, Kurt Hull, business instructor, has heard about Akhtar’s interest in music and songwriting.
    “I completely connected with him because I have a creative side as well in filmmaking,” Hull said. “He is not willing to accept the little packages that people like to put you in. He has that analytical mind.”
    Akhtar’s former classmate, Daniel Chester Carhalo, 21, who is also majoring in business economics, was stunned by his talent when Ahktar did a demonstration.
    “When he started playing the piano and singing, I could already imagine lyrics playing in my head,” Carhalo said. “I am inspired by the songwriting he does. I feel if you want to be successful, you have to surround yourself with successful people also.”
    Managing his songwriting and academics has helped Ahktar with discipline, especially being the first in his family to go to college.
    “In high school, I had a 1.8 GPA, and now, I am getting ready to transfer and have a 4.0 GPA,” Ahktar said.
    Akhtar recently got invited to attend UC Berkeley for the summer to take any summer class for five weeks at no cost.
    “I want people to know that I am hard working,” Ahktar said. “It’s in everyone. People have the ability to do something. If everyone had the mentality to be hard working, then there would be more talent out there.”