“The Expressive Line of Wayne Alaniz Healy” Art Exhibit

On the white walls of the Art Gallery hang a collection of glazed ceramic tiles and canvases painted with shapes and combined colors forming figures seen dancing, cooking, as well as playing soccer and instruments.

The Art Gallery’s latest exhibit displays a visual diary of Wayne Alaniz Healy, Chicano muralist. Healy’s accomplishments are many, both as a solo artist and as a collaborator in the seminal mural collective, East Los Street Scapers.

He has glorified the lives of ordinary people, created beauty in neighborhoods from Los Angeles to Providence, Rhode Island and exhibited artworks in countries all around the world, including Egypt, Ireland, Pakistan, Japan, Canary Islands, England, Scotland, Chile and Mexico.

Regardless of the culture, it is the similarities within human experience that interest him.

In hopes that students can learn and relate to his artwork, Healy shares some of his lifetime work.

“A lot of images are images that I have been through or have a part with,” Healy said. “From family activities, sports, world travel, and past history, just things that make my being.”

In Healy’s collection of artwork, Healy includes various paintings relating to Chicano culture from two separate time periods.

“Domingo Deportivo,” a serigraph created in 1994, shows a female street vendor who is seen grilling vegetables and selling tacos to children playing soccer nearby.

On the upper right-hand corner are figures playing the ancient version of soccer.

Although Healy adds a piece of ancient history into this serigraph, it may give the viewer a sense of being a child again.

While “Domingo Deportivo” shows a glimpse of ancient history, “El Encuentro,” an etching made in 1992, shows a glimpse of a time period where the Spanish in the ancient Americas conquered land.

“What you see in the show is current and past works that deal with Chicano work and culture in East L.A.,” Susanna Meiers, Art Gallery curator, said. “It is work that everybody can relate to and gives you a view of life in a huge spectrum.”

Ivan Villalpando, 20, undecided major, said Healy didn’t just portray the Latin lifestyle, but his own as well.

Like “The Great Scottish-Mexican Thorn Conspiracy,” an etching created in 1996, many artworks include various reptiles, nude women, or figures holding alcoholic beverages.

Other pieces like “Pacific Engagement” and “God(zilla) Them,”  both created by mono silkscreen print in 2006,  are seen with automobiles and airplanes which appear to be inspired by Healy’s career as an aerospace engineer.

Healy’s artwork also includes images of figures playing instruments as seen in “Miles Davis,” porcelain on steel, created in 1995.

“The galleries make money by selling art, what is your latest and what is your greatest,” Healy said. “I created an exhibit in El Camino College for student enlightenment and not the doe.”

What inspired Healy to paint in such was that he does today, or perhaps, how he has for the past years, was being raised during the time period of the Chicano Civil Rights Movement.

A painting that captures the attention of most of the exhibits viewers is “Bolero Familiar,” an acrylic painting created in 2003.

“There are people playing music, a kid playing with the dog, and the grandmother in the kitchen,” Jessica Moreno, 21, child development major, said. “It gives a picture of a Hispanic home.”

“This specific piece caught my attention because it sums up the culture,” Villalpando said.

When reflecting on the progress of creating the exhibit, Healy said “It was pretty easy because it is a retrospective, a ‘looking backwards’ in time.”