Film maker brings reality to the screen

Out on a bright day, he adjusts the lens of his delicate, yet sophisticated camera and quickly retracts his focus back into the angle of his shot. There in front of the camera, stands a vital story waiting to be filmed.

Babak Motamen, 29, film major, is an aspired filmmaker here at EC, expanding his knowledge in the cinema world while working on documentaries and short films when he is not in school.

“My mom was an independent screen writer in Iran,” Motamen said. “She actually introduced me to the Iranian cinema and ever since then, I’ve always loved film making.”

Motamen believes that cinema is a combination of many arts, so not only is he taking film classes, but other classes like music, photography and gallery management as well.

Upon graduating, “I think I want to become a documentary filmmaker or a music video filmmaker.” Motamen said.

His recent film project is a documentary about a film called “Argo,” produced by George Clooney and directed by Ben Affleck.

The film is about Iran in 1979 during the hostage crisis in the capital, Tehran.

“I actually heard about it on the radio,” Motamen said. “I was able to go to the extra management office and take some footage, which was incredible.”

Although filmmaking has its ups and down for Motamen, he said it’s always“inspirational.”

“Sometimes people aren’t very kind,” Motamen said. “But we must learn as much as we can and not worry about things that bother us.”

Motamen’s inspiration for filmmaking didn’t come to him right away. He began his studies in computers when he was still in Iran, but he realized shortly afterwards that it was not meant for him.

“I think I finally found my career,” he said. “I was not a good student before, but now, I get better grades.”

Although he is still a new filmmaker, he also inspires his classmates and other people to pursue their dreams.

“He is always willing to help and I like that he is ambitious but not self-centered,” Sylwia Ozdzynski, 33, photography major said. “He’s a very warm, open, modest person.”

Motamen is very thankful of having many professors that has made a difference in his life and has helped him get closer to achieving his filmmaking career.

“They have really changed my life,” Motamen said.

One of his professors, Darilyn Rowan, photography professor, has enjoyed working with Motamen since the first day of class.

“Babak has a great sense of maturity and appreciation for his education,” Rowan said. “I look forward to seeing his brilliant work as he progresses with his considerable talent.”

Along with his classmates and professors motivational words, Motamen is a strong believer in his philosophy on filmmaking.

“Don’t panic about something you love and aren’t sure about,” he said. “Instead, just do what you feel is right.”