Pianist finds freedom in music

With the glare from the spotlight in his eyes, he looks at the faces of the audience in front of him. Alone with only his piano on stage, he gets an overwhelming feeling of pressure, of nervousness.

Placing his fingers on the ivory colored keyboard he begins to play and gets lost in his own imagination.

Justin Henry, 22, music major, has been playing the piano for more than two years and composing music for five.

Starting off as a business major, Henry said he knew he was meant to do something more with his life as he didn’t feel that he was following the right career path.

“I definitely think music is what I should be doing, I was given some abilities, natural abilities, to play music and I think I am also better at it too,” Henry said. “ I like how I can express myself and my emotions.”

Inspired by composers such as Sergei Rachmaninoff, Henry enjoys composing and playing classical music.

“My favorite piece of music is by Rachmaninoff and it is prelude in G minor,” he added. “In April, I will audition for the piano master class and will perform another Rachmaninoff prelude in C sharp minor.”

Hoping to transfer to the University of Southern California, he hopes to be able to join the music program.

But joining the music program isn’t his only goal as he hopes to be involved more than just musically.

“I want to be able to play basketball for them also,” Henry said. “I practice a lot and play basketball whenever I can.”

Polli Chambers-Salazar, music instructor to Henry said Henry is currently composing a piece of music that focuses on the death of family members.

“The piece that I am writing is inspired from overcoming the pain and sorrow of having someone close to you die,” Henry said.

Although Henry knows what he needs in order to achieve success, he wants other students who are pursuing music to know that things worth having in life don’t come easy.

“It takes a lot of dedication. If you want to be a professional in your craft it takes a lot of hard work,” he said. “One can’t come to class and expect to become a professional.”

Henry also said in order to become the best in life one must work at it.

“I’m not saying I’m a professional, but I have a mindset of being the best,” he said.

Henry’s friend and classmate, Luis Salazar, 22, music major said that he sees Henry working in the film industry as a composer.

“I know he already has a few connections with some people after going to the NAAM convention. There he met a composer in the film industry and he will be able to hopefully work in that.”

Chambers-Salazar, director of piano studies, also sees a lot of potential in Henry.

“He is very motivated, intelligent and loves music,” she said. “He learns extremly fast and is always challenging himself.”