Neuroscience major can sing

Slowly making her way to the front of the piano, she opens her music book and takes a few breaths. As she begins singing, her voice connects with the lowest and highest note while she embellishes her elegance of poise during her rehersal. 

Yilin Hsu, 28, music major is on her fifth semester of applied music and will receive her associates degree this summer. 

Hsu is a mezo-soprano singer who has applied to universities in and out of state in vocal performance and music education. 

She said she enjoys keeping herself busy with her music by performing whenever she gets a chance.

“I recently sang in ‘Symphony of a Thousand’ with Gustavo Duhamel,” Hsu said. “I also gave a soprano voice recital at the El Segundo United Methodist Church, where I preformed with another EC student.”

Hsu has also been involved with the EC music department. She has since enjoyed the club by singing and performing at many  concerts and orchestra performances. 

“I haven’t done any solo performances yet, but I want to,” Hsu said. “Right now, I am applying to local competitions.”

Hsu started singing in grade school, where she attended music class every year, until she was selected to be in a choir in the third grade. 

“That was the time I started receiving instruction from teachers. I was taught to sight read, meaning, reading the notes before actually hearing it,” Hsu said. “I did musicals during the summer since my parents told me I had to focus in school.” 

With a neuroscience degree from Pomona College, Hsu said she wanted another chance to go back to school and major in music.

“Once I graduated, I came back to school and it has been hard, especially with all the budget cuts,” Hsu said.  

Vocal instructor Dr. Vicki Muto said Hsu has a very good heart and imagination. 

“She is determined to conquer her singing and sets it out,” Muto said. “She knows what she’s getting herself into and is able to find everything personal to her singing.” 

So far, Hsu’s experience in the music department has been the right choice, yet she said she finds some challenges in her singing, which can be frustrating.  

“It’s a constant support of the breath,” Hsu said. “It’s the notes to resonate the way you want it to, especially in a foreign language.” 

Regardless of her frustration, a friend of Hsu’s said she is headed  in the right direction.  

“She is different because of the way she treats music and her academics. I don’t know how she finds time to do all of it,” Todd Pye, 27, music major said.

Married, singing and conducting a children’s choir at her church in El Segundo, Hsu still finds time to relax and enjoy her life. 

“So far, it’s been amazing,” Hsu said.