Handmade jewelry becomes a work of art

As the flame from a blowtorch ignites, she slowly lowers it to the metal and sparks go flying. She continues to turn the piece of metal as it burns bright orange.

Forming the metal into shape, Ginger Doner, arts major, is creating a bracelet that will soon be added to the group of bangles hanging from her wrist.

Metal is being cut into pieces, heated into shapes, hammered together and groomed to perfection in Art 73 – a jewelry class teaching students basic and advanced fabrication skills.

“The classes are usually full and the students are eager to learn,” Irene Pederson, classroom assistant, said. “There is a certain part of the soul you can use for expression and show (through jewelry).”

Taught by Irene Mori, art professor and jewelry designer, she said that her love for jewelry making began when she needed an extra class to fill her coursework.

“I ended up taking a (jewelry) class with a very inspirational instructor,” Mori said. “And now I’ve been teaching jewelry for twenty-five years.”

Jewelry fabrication refers to the “making of jewelry,” by means of soldering. Students are responsible for the design of each individual piece, giving them different shapes and weights.

From there, the technique of soldering adheres each piece together. Gemstones and other decorative characteristics are then added to the jewelry to create an individual designed piece of jewelry.

“I’ve been (in the class) five semesters now,” Silvia Peluso, arts major and jewelry designer, said. “There is so much that can be done and learned.”

Stations line the classroom equipped with torches, over-head lamps and many tools including pliers, mallets and various soldering instruments.

“The equipment here is marvelous, even the university in Long Beach can’t compare (with what we have here),” Pederson said.

Mallets and soldering tools aren’t the only equipment being used by the students. Tree trunks are used in the design process.

“We find that they’re perfect for students to hammer certain metals upon and they absorb the impact from the mallet well,” Kristina Christian Kelly, teaching assistant, said.

Many students enrolled in the class have taken prior art classes, but a few are exploring their curiosity and pursuing an interest in jewelry fabrication.

“I go to art fairs to look at handmade jewelry and I wanted to know how to make it myself,” Julianne Martinez, 20, undecided major, said.

Some students really look forward to coming to class and creating their own designs.

“It’s a great class; I love the structure Irene Mori provides for the class,” Doner said. “You really get an understanding of the contrast between metal and form.”

For Pelso, she said that the class has perfected her skills and she is turning her passion into a profession.

Peluso, who has her own website, said she is selling much of her jewelry, among other art work, online. Her jewelry will also be showcased in a national magazine in the upcoming year, she said.

Although not required, art classes are a recommended prerequisite with an emphasis on drawing.

“Art class experience helps the student to be more articulate with jewelry making materials,” Kelly said.

Kelly added that the class is very popular.

While the students are currently working on ring making, many said jewelry fabrication requires a lot of patience, but seeing the final product is worth the time and energy.

Doner said that she continues to wears several of the silver bracelets she made in the class over the years.

“I always wanted to do something creative, now is my time to do it,” she said.