Master singing class takes place tonight in Haag Recital Hall

Students can learn the proper art of singing, as EC’s Chorale will be hosting a master class  directed by Joanna Nachef, director of choral activities at EC, conducted by special guest composer, Rollo Dillworth, today from 6:30 to 8:45 p.m. in the Haag Recital Hall.

Dillworth is a professor of music and director of choral activities and music education at the North Park University School of Music in Chicago, Nachef said.

“Dillworth is one of the most important people in choral music today,” Nachef said. “He is a composer, conductor, writer, author and educator.”

Dillworth has composed a repertoire of music that is used by choirs all over the world, Nachef said, and that students use their music at all levels of singing, from the junior to the university level.

Nachef said that the chorale will be performing during the master class and Dillworth will be working closely by critiquing each performed song. This will help students in the chorale and audience to learn the best way to perform the songs, and also how to sing properly.

“Dillworth specializes in composing African American music, Gospel and spiritual music,” she said. “We will be performing songs by Mozart and Lauridsen. We will also be performing songs written and composed by Dillworth himself.”

Students will learn the areas they can improve in, she said, and how the actual compositions should be performed as a choir.

“The best way to learn how to sing and perform a song is from the composer himself,” she said. “It is a great opportunity to have him here.”