Day of the Dead exhibit takes over the Art Gallery

Sculptures, traditional clothing, and numerous paintings cover the walls of the Art Gallery celebrating life and remembering loved ones who have passed away.

In celebration of El Dia de los Muertos or Day of the Dead, the Art Gallery’s exhibit, “Recuerdos Vividos,” showcases the artwork of over 29 local artists including professors and students through Nov. 4.

“I was influenced by a cemetery known as Hollywood Forever which exposes alters built by contemporary artists,” Susanna Meiers, Art Gallery curator, said. “I was also influences by a show at the Folk Tree which presents exhibits for the Day of the Dead.”

A traditional Mexican holiday, the Day of the Dead brings family and friends together to pray and remember the deceased. Food and beverages, resembling gifts, are brought to the graves and a celebration takes place honoring loved ones.

Bringing a piece of this tradition to campus, the exhibit presents paintings, installations, mosaic work, sculptures, print making and photography as a way of embracing the dead along with more personal artifacts including letters and photographs of loved ones, according to the press release.

“I think it’s a sad day but at the same time, I have to celebrate life,” Gloria Plascencia, photography major and participating artist in the exhibit, said. “I have learned that there is so much that I can do rather than just being sad.”

Creating an exhibit on campus to celebrate the Day of the Dead, Meiers said her focus was to create an opportunity for people to think about the departed people in a positive way.

While some of the artist featured don’t partake in a formal celebration, they have enjoyed the opportunity to understand the long-standing tradition.

“I don’t have a formal celebration, but I like being a part of the exhibition,” Betsy Lohrer-Hall, print-making professor said. “Being a part of the exhibition is one way to celebrate.”

“The work that I have in the exhibit are works that were created in honor of two separate friends who were both artists,” Lohrer-Hall said.

While some choose to see the Day of the Dead as a sad day, others however, see it as a day that mocks death and therefore celebrates life.

Featuring two environmental portraits showcased in the exhibition, Plascencia said her photographs portray “laughter toward death” through a typical face painting—females paint a skeleton face to associate with the dead.

“El Dia de los Muertos is a celebration of life,” Plascencia said. “It is laughing at death in the hands of celebration.”

A performance picnic will take place Nov. 1  at 1 p.m. in front of the Art Gallery in celebration of the Day of the Dead. Meiers said that students are encouraged to bring food and together with various activities, the traditional holiday will become part of campus.

“I think that this exhibit gives students an opportunity to see that tradition is still alive,” Meiers said. “It allows them to use tradition in the rest of their lives as well as in their work.”