Swedish songstress returns

Lykke Li, a 24-year-old Swedish native, has returned from a three-year break, with a sophomore album, “Wounded Rhymes,” released last Tuesday.  The album has an in your face approach with matured vocals than her debut album “Youth Novels.” This can be seen with the first single “Get Some.” Assertively, she sings, “Don’t turn away, this is my time.  Don’t make demands, I don’t take none” and continues with “I’m you’re prostitute, you gon get some.”  She has definitely matured and it is evident in her songs. “Youth Novels” released in 2008 revealed a much more timid, love sick Li with songs such as “Little Bit” and “Breaking it Up.” Her voice on most tracks was more breathy in her first album.  She sang about working a sweat and breaking her back, but “it’s all good” in one of her better known songs from that album titled “I’m good, I’m gone.” Her hard work has paid off.  The Indie princess can be seen on the cover of the most recent issue of Spin Magazine. Her infectious follow-up single “I Follow Rivers” on her latest album has a familiar hypnotic drum beat accompanying her sultry voice that will undoubtedly make your head bob.  It shouldn’t be much of a surprise that the album was produced by fellow Swede Bjorn Yttling of the indie pop band Peter, Bjorn and John. The sunny, Swedish pop that we all know and love can be enjoyed in this album as well, however, her attempts at a fuller chest voice throughout the album isn’t always pleasant to hear. The breathy, faint voiced siren the world was introduced to in 2008 is long gone.  A new Lykke Li has emerged with a stronger voice, that unfortunately falls flat too often to fully enjoy.  Songs such as the slower, almost acoustic “Unrequited Love” will have most listeners skipping to the next song. There are still a few gems to be enjoyed.  Her contrast of upbeat music with melancholy lyrics that makes up the bittersweet formula from the first album can still be heard in “Wounded Ryhmes.” “Sadness Is A Blessing” is a perfect example of this formula.  With piano chords reminiscent of ‘60s doo wop, the chorus says “Sadness is a blessing, sadness is a pearl.  Sadness is my boyfriend. Oh, sadness I’m your girl.” The album shows growth and maturity, but the apprehensive Li will be missed.