“Freedom and Bondage” sparks competition among art students

Members of the I.D.E.A.S. Art club took over the Activities Center on Tuesday, Nov. 30 to display work which varied from sculptures, drawings, photography and paintings.
    “Contemplation,” was the name of the sculpture Joe Fernandez, 33, fine arts major constructed that took first place and won a $50 prize.
    “I’m definitely going to donate it back to the club. It’s a good gesture that I won, but I’m not hurting for money right now and it feels better just putting it back into the club that I believe in,” Fernandez said.
    The theme for the art contest was freedom and bondage.
    A total of 13 students paid the $5 required to enter the competition and were judged by professors.
    Although everyone was given a month to work on their pieces, Fernandez said he finished his in just two days. In part that was possible because his work came from an existing piece done in 2006.
    He has been displaying his work for four years now and is working on a portfolio to display his creations.
    The event was made possible because of the contributions made by all the members, club president Wesley Pacleb, 24, fine arts major said.
    “I think it’s a great experience for students to enter a contest and at the same time to make it all happen together,” Pacleb said. “I couldn’t do it by myself but we have a lot of active members this semester who are willing to make events for the college.”
    Second place went to Jose Gonzalez who displayed his photography and was awarded $20. The tie for third place was between photographer Matt Finley and Sean Webb, who displayed his painting titled “A Moment in Time.”
    “A Moment in Time” is a painting of Webb trapped in the gears of a clock.
    “I looked up the definition of bondage and it basically said anything that can be limiting and I figured the most limiting thing in my life is time,” Webb, 34, Fine arts major said.
    This is the first art competition organized by the club and Pacleb hopes it will continue every semester.