New horror movie fails to deliver the scares and chills of directors past

After watching Wes Craven’s newest movie, “My Soul to Take,” audiences will not walk away scared. They’ll probably walk away in disgust at how terrible it was.
    Craven has been one of the greatest thriller directors of all time, but maybe this is the beginning to the end of his remarkable career.
    Do you remember the guy who wrote those classic Freddy vs. Jason movies? Or the guy who wrote the “Nightmare on Elm Street” movies? Or maybe the guy who directed “Scream?”
    Well, those movies were actually thrillers, but this movie isn’t.
    The movie opens with a man known as the Riverton Ripper who has multiple personality disorder and is the serial killer. He ends up either dying or disappearing as it is unclear in the movie what actually happens.
    What is clear is that he said he would come back and kill all the children who were born the day he died.
    Fast forward 16 years later and there are a group of seven high school students who were born that day when the Riverton Ripper either died or disappeared.
    These high school students are aware that he said he would come back and kill them.
    Well, one by one these students start dying. At this point, it’s still unclear whether it was the actual Riverton Ripper doing the killing or if he has been reborn into one of those seven.
    Even the killing scenes of the students are lame. They were too quick and there wasn’t enough action in the movie to keep me interested.
    To sum it up, this movie was very confusing and the plot didn’t make any sense.
    The casting was OK, but I thought the acting was very dry. The only two characters who were fairly good were Max Theriot (Bug) and Emily Meade (Fang). The movie wasted a lot of talent from good actors like Denzel Whitaker (Jerome) and Zena Grey (Penelope).
    The fact that Craven made this movie into 3-D baffles me, too. There was no reason to make it in 3-D as the effect didn’t work.
    Maybe it was just a negative experience and maybe I expected more because the all-mighty Wes Craven directed this movie. It also could be that this movie was just bad.
    In any case, audiences shouldn’t spend $15 on this movie and wait for this movie on DVD.
    Clearly, this movie is a candidate to be the worst movie of 2010 in a year when there have been plenty of bad movies.
    “My Soul To Take” is a movie that does nothing to improve on the horror genre.
    In a decade where movie audiences have been treated to torture-porn horror movies like the “Saw” franchise, moviegoers need good horror movies that take us back to the slasher films like “Halloween.”
    Audiences needed to be reminded of what a good horror movie needs and it’s a shame that one of the masters of horror couldn’t deliver on that.