On screen is student’s dream

Many people watch films and imagine themselves as their favorite character. Actor Cameron DelaCerna, 20, business major, thinks how he could have approached the role differently.
    “For me, acting is an outlet that allows me to dive into emotions and emotional caverns that I don’t usually get to explore on my own,” He said.
    DelaCerna’s career began when he was 12 years old and played piano for the Calabasas Chamber Orchestra.
    He said being on stage provided an unexplainable adrenaline rush.
    After this discovery, he decided to take all of his experiences and focus them into the craft of acting.
    DelaCerna, who also goes by his stage name Cameron Koa, hasn’t won any Oscar’s or Emmys yet, but he did win “Best Male Performance” at Chapman University’s statewide Shakespeare Festival in 2008.
    In addition he recently played in an independent film called “Leave it on the Floor” which will be played at the Sundance Film Festival.
    “It’s exciting to know that we have a film that’s being streamed through a widely known outlet,” DelaCerna said.
    Hard work is no stranger to DelaCerna, whose sister is an accomplished ballet dancer and was the first African American ballet soloist in the American Ballet Theatre Company.
    “Longevity in this career is all based on hard work, and my sister is a huge inspiration because of everything she’s accomplished,” DelaCerna said.
    One of DelaCerna’s first acting gigs was in Sean Kingston’s music video “Face Drop.”
    He’s also appeared in commercials for Diesel Jeans, Microsoft Corp., and Coca-Cola Co.
    Despite his many successes, he still has big plans for his future.
    “I’m still working on building my resume,” DelaCerna said. “I’m really appreciative for all the opportunities I’ve had so far.”
    In a career that is never certain, DelaCerna keeps a clear mind when it comes to auditions and callbacks.
    “After an audition, I try to forget it ever happened,” DelaCerna said. “If you keep waiting for that phone call everyday and it never happens, it’s a let down.”
    While he continues to build up his resume, DelaCerna is back at school to finish his business degree. Acting is the main goal, but he wants to keep his options open.
    “I’m trying to finish my degree at EC and possibly transfer to UCLA. I want to have a fall-back plan,” DelaCerna said. “You never know where this career path will take you.”