‘Configuration’ is ready for Marsee

Passion and intensity in the dance room is thick. All eyes are glued to the mirror as the music begins to play. The choreographer starts the count and a formation is quickly formed. Each student follows the beat in perfect unison. Legs are flying, bodies are spinning, and it’s clear dancing is what these students love to do.
    Dance students are preparing both student and faculty choreographed pieces for their annual spring dance concert. This year, titled, “Configuration,” the two -day event begins today at 1 p.m. and again tomorrow at 8 p.m. at Marsee Auditorium. Tickets are available at the box office for $15.
    “We have so many different types of dances in the show this semester. From hip-hop, modern dance, jazz, to belly dancing,” Patricia Santelman, associate professor, said. “We cover all the bases in the show.”
    Students must be enrolled in specific dance classes in order to participate in the show and some pieces require an audition.
    “I think this semester the student choreographed pieces are very strong and clean. Choreographers have stepped up to the challenge of getting all of their dancers to work hard and they all have original ideas with some having very complex themes,” Santelman said.
    Brandi Taylor, 26, dance major, said auditions can be nerve racking if it’s a specific piece you want to be in, but after five shows at EC, she doesn’t get nervous anymore.
    “I want to show people what we’ve been working on all semester and how hard we work,” Taylor said.
    Taylor said every semester there are new faces who attend the concerts and encourages student involvement.
    “They give people a chance to show their support for us and encourages us to do what we do,” Taylor said.
    The love shared by students and instructors helps bring everything together, Santelman said. Having three full-time instructors working as hard as they can while the students work with limited rehearsal times creates a sense of unity.
    “Not everyone is a dance major,” Taylor said. “Some of the students are just people who love to dance.”
    Santelman and students agree that having a dance concert at the end of the semester is important to give students something to work toward.
    “It gives students an outlet and sets a goal for them to improve their technique. They have to really think about the choreography and be able to do it as well as create it,” Santelman said.
    More than 30 students are participating in the show, and several are performing in more than one piece.
    “I’m in three pieces for this performance and it’s all about making myself better,” Luke Zender, 18, dance major, said. “Every last second is worth it and it’s what I love to do.”
    The department, Santelman said, is fortunate to have several full-time instructors to make the show come together.
    “The ending, when it all pulls together is the best part. When you go, ‘oh, OK,’ it was worth it and you take a big breath,” Santelman said.