Take a trip through Banksy’s Gift Shop

A unique, documentary film that creates more questions than answers has been released to select theatres around the world this past week. “Exit Through the Gift Shop” is world-famous British street artist Banksy’s latest work.

“Exit” starts off following documentarian Thierry Guetta’s camcorder. Guetta, a French-born family man, who owns a thrift store on Melrose is infatuated with graffiti, street art, and it’s culture. Filming practically every second of his life, he begins to focus his filming on his cousin, a street artist with the moniker “Space Invader.” While following Space Invader, Guetta gains access to Shepard Fairey, the man responsible for Obama’s HOPE poster and Obey Propaganda.

The film chronicles the world of street art and focuses on the many street artists, artwork, tools and some of the acrobatic maneuvers necessary to reach the best “canvases” in the city.

After filming seemingly the best street artists from the beginning of the street art movement, Guetta realizes he has yet to meet or film one of the most famous and elusive street artists Banksy.

Shepard Fairey informs Guetta that Banksy is in Los Angeles and would like to be shown where the best walls are. Guetta obliges and caters to Banksy’s every need and gains insight and trust from Banksy. After viewing an hour-long piece of garbage, Banksy decides to take all of Guettas tapes in exchange for letting Banksy make a film using them.

Thus now Banksy has become the filmmaker and follows Guerta as he becomes a graffiti artist (known as Mr. Brain Wash) in the style of those artist he followed.

The whole film seems to be a prank played on the masses by Banksy. From the name “Exit Through the Gift Shop” insisting that modern art is made just to churn out a profit. Banksy offers a satirical social commentary of today’s art world. Banksy’s Exit Through the Gift Shop provokes the audience to ask the age old question “what is art?”