He’s a one-man laugh factory

Annastashia Goolsby

One reason for wanting to perform comedy is that it is the one thing, Jacob Wysocki, 19, English major, is good at and because he loves making people laugh and creating the contagious effect it has.

“I am an English major but I hate reading. I guess I just want to have something to fall back on,” Wysocki said.

Six years ago Wysocki discovered his passion for the art of comedy, but it was not until he graduated from Narbonne High School in 2008 that he realized being a comedian was his career goal.

Wysocki is juggling being a full-time student, writing comedic scripts for performances on stage every Sunday and trying to pull his weight at Comedy Sportz in Hollywood.

“I am doing everything and anything it takes to earn my keep at Comedy Sportz,” Wysocki said. “I will work the concession stand, clean the toilets and seat people.”

Having the fantasy dream of being discovered while performing a live skit, Wysocki visions himself on Saturday Night Live or acting in movies doing what he loves.

“I would love to be able to quit school and be a comedian,” Wysocki said. “I would also love to be able to get paid and work to make people laugh.”

Influenced by comedians such as Steve Martin, Richard Pryor and Zach Galifianakis, Wysocki writes his own scripts and just finished creating a feature film with friends about a film crew trying to find a Sasquatch in the forest.

“The movie is called ‘Roughin’ it’ and everything was improvisation; there was no script,” Wysocki said. “It would be really cool if we received some exposure from this film.”

It was not until recently that Wysockis’ parents began to understand his desire of wanting to become a comedian.

“My dad gets it but my mom, not so much. She thinks I should just get an education.” Wysocki said. “When they watched my movie, they got a better understanding.”

Along with performing in a feature film and auditioning for a new series on TV, Wysocki frequently updates his comedic blog on the Web site jessnjake.tumblr.com

“I recently auditioned for the pilot episode of ‘Huge’ on ABC. Everyone there had agents and I was just there by myself with a resume I quickly typed up the night before,” Wysocki said laughing.

With a hidden hint of excitement, Wysocki said that if he were given a part in the show “Huge,” he would have to quit school because filming would interfere.

Wysocki works hard to fulfill his dream, even if that means driving the 45 minutes it takes to get to Hollywood every week. He updates his blog daily, uploads onto ‘You Tube’ and writes his own skits.