Ten years of L.A. artist’s pieces to be displayed

Vibrant reds, deep blues and mustard yellows displayed in various geometric shapes command the walls of the Art Gallery. Mathew Thomas’ collection titled “Darshan/Looking Beyond the Obvious” has been on display since Feb. 16 and will run until March 12.

Displaying a decade’s worth of his work, Thomas explores religious and cultural traditions visually. His study and practice of Mahayana Buddhism, Sufism, Vedanta Yoga and Christianity has enabled him to blend his spiritual and cultural studies into colorful geometric figures.

“I use geometric abstraction because it is something that runs through all cultures. It became a universal language for most ancient cultures,” Thomas said.

The use of shapes allows him to connect cultures with the physical and spiritual universe.

He credits his Southern California upbringing for his interest in cultures and the metaphysical world. His parents encouraged him to accept and understand the different types of people that surrounded him.

“Los Angeles lets you be curious and become interested in people and other cultures and religions. My parents believed that when you allow people to be themselves, then you are able to find a part of yourself in them,” Thomas said.

An eye catching piece titled “The Gesture of Touching the Earth” is composed of 16 panels encrusted with clay and pigment to reference the physical world. Thomas said each piece in his collection could be viewed as a mirror of one another, so that each piece is vital but not absolute.

A fan for several years, Art Gallery curator Susanna Meiers considers it an honor to have Thomas’ work displayed on campus for people to explore.

“The gallery provides a real service to stimulate conversation between students and different departments,” Meiers said.

Members of the community and students were in attendance for the exhibit’s reception.

Photography major Areva Boyd found the exhibit unique and enjoyed how the works display cultural views in a different angle.

“The atmosphere creates a sense of Zen and gives a good sense of spirituality,” Boyd said.