Pianist tickles the ivory to unlock his musical future

Effortlessly commanding the keys of the piano, music major 21-year-old Sam Salgado fills the practice room with a bit of improvisation.

“I enjoy music. From folk to gospel, I always feel it,” Salgado said.

Growing up with a family of musicians, Salgado said music has been a part of his life for as long as he could remember. His father, born in Guerrero, Mexico, sings and plays guitar. His uncles play bass and saxophone, and his brother plays piano.

“My family learned to play music by ear. I started trying to play what I heard on the radio when I was about eight years old,” Salgado said.

It wasn’t until attending Washington Preparatory High School, known for the best music program in South Los Angeles, that he was able to seriously pursue music.

During his sophomore year, Salgado said he was fortunate enough to play with his idol Ray Charles.

“We had a jazz combo and just started jamming out with him,” Salgado said.

Salgado recently performed in the Chorale Variety Show this past Saturday. He’s also been invited by saxophone instructor Ann Paterson to perform with fellow students and faculty members in celebration of latin culture Nov. 7 on Schauerman Library lawn.

While attending Santa Monica College, Salgado heard of the Applied Music Program offered on campus through classmate, Maya Perez, music major. With one day to prepare before auditions, Salgado admits he was nervous, but that didn’t stop him from getting a spot in the program. Now in his second semester, Salgado is grateful to be involved in the program.

“The class is only one unit and is worth so much more. There are so many opportunities available to us,” Salgado said.

Five years from now, Salgado hopes to be attending Berklee College of Music in Boston or on the road somewhere playing with somebody or both.

“I want to travel and see new places and also teach so I can give back what was taught to me,” Salgado said.