Guitarist goes from the stage to classroom

After sharing the stage with pop stars and television personalities, newest guitar instructor Chris Mello now shares his passion with his students.

With a doctorate from USC and an extensive resume, Mello brings a variety experiences to the table. From touring with acts such as the Dixie Chicks and Natalie Imbruglia to studio musician work for “The Simpsons” and Taco Bell commercials, Mello said he tries to master whatever specific musical situation possible.

Mello hopes to keep up with the ever changing music industry by offering instruction from traditional styles of music and jazz to styles being played today on both acoustic and electric guitars.

To modernize the program, Mello said, he also teaches students essential computer programs such as Pro Tools and GarageBand to help further their musical endeavors.

“So much of the industry is happening in home studios, so I want to provide them with the tools they need to function in these situations,” Mello said.

“Every experience has its unique challenges,” Mello said.

Offering three sections of beginning guitar Mello said his class is a good general introduction to guitar. Course offerings include how to read music, chords and a taste of music.

“My goal for beginners is to provide tools to empower students to go out and take it from there whether they like country, folk or hip-hop,” Mello said.

His intermediate course continues teaching skills and focuses on specific genres and “what makes them tick,” Mello said.

Always looking at different genres, his class is currently focusing on Blues and Rock. Next semester, it may focus on Funk and Flamenco.

David Pena, 22, respiratory care major, is currently taking Mello’s intermediate guitar class.

“He’s a great teacher. He helps pinpoint your strengths and weaknesses and shows you what you should focus on,” Pena said.

Aspiring students should keep an open mind, Mello said. Students who only want to listen exclusively to Kanye West have left listening to B.B. King, Eric Clapton and classical guitar.

“To be successful in anything, especially in this competitive economic environment, the person that excels in something is the person who is going to get the job,” Mello said.