Paul’s Photo exhibits student pieces

Portraits of a vintage, scantily clad woman in sepia tone, working class men in uniform and a vivid landscape of forest trees with a sky are just a few of the images on exhibition by photography students at Paul’s Photo, Inc. in Torrance throughout the month of October.
    “It’s great to see all the hard work,” Mark Comon, vice president of Paul’s Photo, said.
    The photography department and Paul’s Photo have had a long relationship. Several students purchase digital and film cameras from Paul’s each semester.
    “I knew they had exhibition space for professional photographers, so I told Mark Comon to keep students in mind,” Darilyn Rowan, photography professor, said.
    Rowan contacted students individually whose work was ready for professional level exhibition. Student art curator Lyn Watanabe worked tirelessly for the organization and installation of the exhibition. Students had to matte and frame their work to have it exhibited in the store, and Watanabe was instrumental in helping students organize their pieces.
    “The final result of the exhibition reflects her hard work, talent and her elegant eye,” Rowan said.
    The exhibition is dedicated with thanks and gratitude to James F. Schwartz who served as interim fine arts dean from 2007-2009 for his “professionalism, insight and kindness” and associate dean Barbara Jaffe for her “students come first philosophy,” Rowan said.
    Both provided enormous support to the photography department, especially during the relocation from the Communications Building to the Art and Behavioral Sciences Building is summer. The move was useful for students to be able to utilize the digital and film technology available in the Art and Behavioral Sciences Building.
    The photography department has a number of venues that showcase student artwork on and off campus. Annually, student photography can be exhibited in the Schauerman Library.
    “It is illuminating, inspiring and instructive for students to see the types of photographic images made from talent and education,” Rowan said.