Renaissance man does more than sing and dance on stage

Sporting a neon red T-shirt inscribed with “In case of emergency, BREAK DANCE,” theater major Chris Bunyi dominates the stage with passion.

Inspired to sing, dance and act by his cousin’s fiancé, a professional hip-hop dancer, Bunyi began singing in the school choir in the fifth grade.

He then participated in high school talent shows and the musicals such as “Singing In The Rain.”

Bunyi’s passion for the arts doesn’t run in the family; they’re in the medical field.

“I’m kind of the black sheep of the family,” Bunyi said.

Since attending EC, Bunyi has performed in many shows such as the student one-acts, dance concerts and tap dance shows.

“I would love for this to be a career,” Bunyi said.

He has also performed at other off-campus venues such as the “Maxd Out” competition at California State University, Long Beach for hip-hop dancing and at the Norris Theater in Rolling Hills where he performed in plays “Lil’ Abner” and “High School Musical.”

“A writer of (the original) High School Musical came and watched on opening night,” Bunyi said.

Performers such as Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire are idols of Bunyi for their work and style in Broadway musicals. They motivated him to learn tap dance.

Another of Bunyi’s talents is playing the piano and the guitar. He started playing the piano at age 10 and the guitar at age 13.

“Out of all the things I do, I love music the best,” Bunyi said.

Bunyi has attended EC for five years and will receive his associate degree in theater at the end of fall semester. He plans to apply to the University of California, Irvine, UCLA, and NYU. He’s also considering attending a conservatory, a performing arts school for students to train and perform while acquiring their degree in the performing arts.

Students can see Bunyi perform in the upcoming student one-act play “The Mint Juleps Trilogy'” on Friday, October 16 and Saturday, October 17 at 8 p.m. at the Campus Theatre.

He’s also performing in the fall dance concert, and is currently training for his audition for “RENT”.

“I really like doing theater,” Bunyi said. “It’s just amazing.”