Photography professor competes among the best

It is a simple photograph. A gravestone looms to one side, as void of a traditional epitaph as the picture is of color. A floral carving borders a single word: “ROSE.” A woman’s name is the most probable inference, but to Darilyn Rowan, it meant something different.

A symbol of personal hope and beauty carved onto a reminder of death, that simple word was more than a good photograph; it was the inspiration needed for a series Rowan entitled “Death in Transformation.”

“Death in Transformation” is a series Rowan wanted to “photographically explore” for a long time, but which took certain life events and a little inspiration from “Rose” to catalyze the results.

“This is a series about hope and acceptance,” Rowan said.

Rowan believes tragedy to be a common thread of mankind, and plans to use this series as a means of portraying the positive qualities that can be found amidst one of life’s most difficult facets.

The series has resonated in the photography community. “Rose” landed a finalist position in the Photographer’s Forum Best of Photography Competition 2009.

Whether it is selected as first place or not, it will be published in the Photographer’s Forum magazine this December with the other finalists.

“Rose” is not the only photograph in the series to receive recognition.

“Paris,” created by combining two different negatives of two very different images, has become a permanent part of the collection Maison Européenne de la Photographie.

The process Rowan used in order to create “Paris” is one that students of El Camino can learn by taking classes offered by the photography department. Photo 51, Photo 54 and Photo 57 all teach students more than just how to take a picture; they delve into a variety of creative processes employed by the art of photography.

This semester, the photography classes have been moved to the art building, and the relocation is a positive one for Rowan, especially with the updated design.

“I imagined the new photography facility like a New York studio loft, or gallery space, and I’m thrilled with the result,” Rowan said. “I think students will benefit from the space.”

The new location will provide photography students with artistic inspiration, as well as the practical means to pursue film or digital works. Whichever one’s preference, Rowan believes each student has the ability to succeed.

“Students need to know they can pursue their dreams, no matter where they are beginning from,” Rowan said.

She is looking forward to October, when aspiring photography students will be able to check out a display of their peers’ accomplishments. Paul’s Photography, located in the city of Torrance, will host a monthlong gallery of 40 different works, all by El Camino photography students.

The event’s curators will be Rowan and El Camino graduate, Lyn Watanabe.

Rowan sees the exhibit as an “inaugural event” for the photography department’s new facilities. She hopes many students will stop by to see what one can learn from El Camino’s photography department.

After all, it could be one of their own photos nominated next for the Photographer’s Forum Best of Photography.