Mendez designing himself a career

His eyes gleam with excitement as he reaches for his bag, and pulls what seems at first like a pair of regular, oversized sunglasses.
    He gives Jenesis Flores, the Vice President of Walter’s Collection, a big smile, grinning from ear to ear.
    After putting the sunglasses on, Mendez explains that these aren’t just any pair of sunglasses. These are the sunglasses, the signature, logo, and emblem that distinguish Mendez from all other fashion designers. This is what makes him unique.
    “When you see so many different fashion designers at a show, it’s almost impossible to remember all their names, so you have to have something that makes you stand out,” Mendez said.
    But Mendez doesn’t need a pair of oversized shades to stand out. On Aug. 28, he showed his 2010 Ready to Wear line at Hill Street Studios. He describes his overall style as being nautical, edgy, and sophisticated.
    “I definitely think it was a success,” Mendez said of his show. “There were so many people there that people had to stand, because there wasn’t enough seats.”
    As far back as Mendez can remember, fashion was always a part of his life.
    “Ever since I could remember, I didn’t see it as career or job. It just to me was always instinctual,” Mendez said.
    To make it in the fashion world, Mendez said that you must constantly reinvent yourself, and come up with something more creative and unique than the next designer.
    “If you present them with something old, they’re quick to criticize,” Mendez said.
    But he wants so much more than to be unique; he wants to be understood.
    “As a designer and as an artist, you run a huge risk of people not understanding your look, your vision, your concept,” Mendez said.
    Being interviewed is not something that is new to Mendez. Recently, Beach Magazine asked to do a profile on him, Mendez explained, and wanted to see more of his collection from his Ready to Wear line. Mendez was thrilled to have that opportunity.
    “They heard about me through other photographers that were at my show. They are always looking for new talent in the South Bay,” Mendez said.
    He is also interested in collaborating with other designers. Sterling McKenzie, who attended Mira Costa High School with Mendez, has his own line called We Just Fade Away.
    Mendez said that while his style is more urban, collaboration with him would be a big success.
    “Not only would it attract my market,” Mendez said, “it would attract his as well.”
    Along with his clothing line, Mendez is a full time student, on the student government of EC, and always finds time to hang out with his friends. Despite his busy schedule, he says that he could not be happier.
    “I think I’m able to handle it because it’s something I love,” Mendez said.
    Flores can see this in Mendez as well. After sitting next to him for some time in a fashion textiles class, she became interested in working with him.
    “I noticed him from a previous fashion show, and I really liked his designs,” Flores said
    And while Mendez loves all aspects of the fashion industry, the most important part is the end result, and seeing the reaction of someone wearing his clothes.
    “When I see a girl in my clothes, and she’s glowing, and she’s radiant. I see that as magic,” Mendez said.