Franklin’s book hits the racks

Breathe.

Just take a breath and release yourself, both physically and mentally. Kevin Franklin, English instructor, thinks breathing is key to all things in life.

Franklin has been teaching critical thinking courses in the English department for almost two years. Along with teaching, he also wrote the book “Breathe” and is a motivational speaker.

Franklin said he believes speaking comes with writing and he’s just answering his calling.

Franklin has also taught at CSU Long Beach and Cypress College.

Franklin managed to escape the street violence and peer pressures, growing up, to become the man that he is today because of the way his father brought him up.

“As a child, it was mostly my father’s guidance and protection that kept me safe from the street. My father was very, very big on education, and he made sure I was excelling in school,” Franklin said. “He kept me in the house and the backyard a lot.”

Franklin was inspired to become a motivational speaker because he sees the need that people have in the world. Franklin believes that a lot of people are lost today.

“One of my roles on Earth, one of my purposes is to be a conduit for change and to really be that vessel for hope and change,” Franklin said.

Franklin has been mentoring since 1997, both professionally and voluntarily. He also helps pre-teens and young students develop the reading and English skills that they need to become as successful as can be.

“This world consists of (a) majority and minority and that the majority settles for the mediocrity and the minority (likes) to go out, take and achieve what they can,” Franklin said.

Franklin said “that his father had such a powerful influence on him that his words of wisdom like these have made him into the writer he is today.”

“It’s the things I learned on my own spiritual transformation, the books that I read (which helped) me continue the progression away from the negative elements of the world,” Franklin said.

Franklin has been writing since he was 14 and started teaching in 2004.

“The inspiration came because I wanted to teach writing to others,” Franklin said. “I believe every human being has the breath of God with them.”

“The book teaches us how to utilize our breath to mark our presence in the world.”

Kyseme Ellington, owner of Chess Tutor (an inner city organization) and long time friend of Franklin, said he believes that there are certain characteristics that one must have before they choose such a profession.

“I believe a person should live and know what they’re speaking about, and Kevin is a very knowledgeable and great person with patience, understanding and the integrity to have chosen this field of work,” Ellington said.

Jason Allen, physician’s assistant, has known Franklin for 26 years.

“Kevin has always been a very deep person as well as a great motivational speaker,” Allen said. “Kevin is an interesting person and has the ability to keep others’ attention. He’s patient and always looking out for your best interest.”

While some writers pick Starbucks or a country-like environment to gather their thoughts, Franklin writes and thinks in his office where there is peace and quiet.

“I have three methods that trigger my writing ideas. Either I’m pacing back in fourth in my office, in the shower or waking up at 3 a.m. while getting a drink of water,” Franklin said.

Franklin will be signing his book at several bookstore locations this summer, including Barnes & Noble in El Segundo. A copy of Franklin’s book is available at any local bookstore or online bookstore. For more information, interested persons may visit the Web site [email protected].

“Excellence lies within you,” Franklin said.

“While you’re here on earth, show why you’re here on earth by unleashing that excellence.”