Extremely eclectic artist expands his artistic abilities

Click. Flash.

Just like that time is captured forever.

Bill Beekman, 21, fine arts major, loves that about photography.

“Being able to capture a moment is really cool. Anything can happen,” Beekman said.

Beekman’s interest in photography began in a high school photography class.

When Beekman was young, he would copy and draw album covers of his favorite bands.

“A good way to learn is through others’ artwork,” Beekman said. “Imitation is a good way to develop your skills and your perception.”

Since then, he has ventured into various forms of visual art, including painting, sculpting and graphic designing.

“I would (also) like to work with special effects,” Beekman, a movie fanatic, said.

Music has been a part of Beekman’s artistic inspiration. He has photographed bands and even designed their T-shirts.

From his large music collection, classic rock such as Radiohead, Queens of the Stone Age and the Beatles can be found on his iPod’s art mix to help put him in the “zone.”

“You don’t necessarily have to be a great artist to be creative,” Beekman said.

However, having the right equipment helps.

“If it is something you love to do and something you do often, you might as well,” Beekman said, regarding the cost of equipment.

Beekman bought a $700 fish lens before embarking on a study abroad program to Australia last year.

There, he came across a canvas in the trash in which he worked on, leaving his own mark in the art world.

“I left it there as a cool memento. I (now) have a piece in Australia,” Beekman said.

Although Beekman has sold a few shots, many of his artwork has been given to friends and relatives as gifts, and as they move to other cities so does his artwork.

“It’s cool to have stuff floating around. It’s a labor of love,” Beekman said.

Beekman’s artistic expansion in multiple art forms parallels that of his favorite artist Salvador Dali, whose artwork ranged in film, sculpture, photography and paint.

“They all work together, that’s why I’d rather be in fine arts, and where I can keep my options open,” Beekman said, “If you have your hands in everything, there is no limit to what you (can) do.”

One of Beekman’s options available is to transfer to an art design school such as Otis.

“I might be taking a couple classes here, anyway, just because I like it so much. El Camino has an amazing art program and it’s better to do it here than at an expensive art school,” Beekman said.

Aside from friends and family, Beekman has felt a great deal of support from the art community here at El Camino, where artists thrive off of each other for ideas.

“Art is a way to open your mind and expand it,” Beekman said.

With the use of Facebook and Myspace, Beekman has found it easier to get more ideas by having the accessibility to communicate with other artists.

From Beekman’s perspective, all art has a message, and if more people become open to that message than the world would be a better place.

“(For) me, being successful is doing what I love and being an artist in any form,” Beekman said.

“Art is an expression of you. Anyone can do it.”