Students show off dance moves

It’s that time again when dance students prepare for the spring dance concert. Students, instructors and guest artists can showcase their talent in a variety of dance styles and techniques.

The theme is “New Beginnings,” EC dance director Daniel Berney said. “It’s called new beginnings because it is the first time the (Spring Dance) concert is in the Marsee Auditorium.”

New Beginnings will be showing in the Marsee Auditorium today at 1p.m., Saturday at 8p.m. and Sunday at 3 p.m. Tickets will be selling for $12.

“Students should expect high energy performances that will be fun, relaxing, entertaining and introduce new techniques taught in the dance program,” EC dance instructor and director, Pam Santelman said.

“We’re in the Marsee (Auditorium) this year, so the students really have to stretch themselves. They have to leap bigger, jump bigger, do everything bigger than they would normally have to do,” Santelman said. “They have really worked hard.”

This semester, the dance showcase will be setting itself apart from previous shows in a unique way.

“It’s going to be eclectic. There will be a variety of dance styles (like) some ballet, some modern, jazz, musical theater, and street,” Berney said.

“So they’ll see a blend of student chorography, faulty choreography and guest performers as well,” Berney said.

EC teacher, Amy Campion, will bring in her professional break dance crew, Antics incorporated, to perform.

This time around there will also be more student involvement in the production.

“There is more student choreography. Usually there are three to four pieces (by students), but this time there are eight,” Santelman said.

“The student component of the concert has increased dramatically,” Berney said.

Dance major, Shoji Yamasaki earned the rare opportunity to choreograph and dance in a solo performance.

“I am very excited,” Yamasaki says. “Not a lot of students get this chance.”

As many know, this is Yamasaki’s last semester before he transfers to UCLA, so this farewell performance is a must-see.

This semester’s production has a lot to offer to those with or without expectations.

“Students should come to support those they may know who are involved in the concert and also to expand their knowledge of dance and get more out of it than expected,” Berney said.

“Even if someone has seen something like belly dance before, they’re going to see a gothic version, which many people haven’t seen because it’s more underground,” Berney said.

“For students and the general public, (what) everybody should be getting out of this, is the fact that there’s a variety of dance and levels of dancers at a college of this size,” Berney said. “It’s comparable to what you can find at surrounding universities.”

The concert reflects the different types of classes EC offers. People in the community, with even a slight interest in taking a dance class, will be influenced to sign up for one after seeing the spring dance concert.

“(We want) students to have knowledge in different styles of dance and to understand out dance program here and how we offer so much from Pilates to Hip Hop,” Santelman said.

“This is something that (I think), no matter what background your from, you (will) enjoy this dance concert,” Santelman said.