Photography show to inspire

With just one light on, giving the room a luminous glow, the look on her face showed she was at peace: tranquility.

That was the mood photographer Jose Gonzalez wanted his childhood friend to convey the last photograph he took of her.

This was only one of more than 70 photographs showcased at the El Camino College Student Photography Exhibition which is on display at the library until April 30.

“The exhibit is something special and it encourages students to see what (these photographers) have done,” photography Professor Darilyn Rowan said, “I’m thrilled with the show!”

This is the third year the Student Photography Exhibition has been showcased.

“I hope to make it an annual event,” Rowan said.

More than 40 El Camino student photographers from intermediate and advanced photography classes were invited by Rowan to participate in the exhibition.

“I wanted as many students as possible to show their work,” Rowan said.

The students were asked to choose their strongest pieces to display.

“The photos had interesting themes, depth, and quality,” Public Access librarian Ed Martinez said, “I was especially impressed with Janis Davis’ photos.”

Stephanie Picker, like other friends and families of the photographers attended the opening of the exhibition to support her best friend Jesseca Spencer.

“I love photography and appreciate people (who) can take good pictures,” Picker said.

Khalia Green’s mother also attended the reception.

“I am very proud of Khalia; she is diligent and precise about her photos,” Ms. Green said.

Raul Juarez’s photograph of a Filipino woman was a favorite among those who attended the reception.

“Raul is very talented,” photographer Laura Bellamy said.

That was one of many compliments given from one photographer to another.

“It’s great to see students are so close; it’s a close-knit family,” Lyn Watanabe said.

“Rowan makes the photography program a community,” Juarez said.

Within this community, four students were finalists for the international Photographer’s Forum Best of College Photography competition.

Raul Juarez, Laura Bellamy, Lyn Watanabe, Janis Davis and Channing Martinez were in the top five percent of the 20,000 entries.

“They are very talented and hard working students; I am so proud of them,” Rowan said.

The students will be notified this summer to see if they win an honorable mention. All finalists’ photos are published in the Photographer’s Forum annual.

“(Photographer’s Forum) is a very exciting magazine for emerging professionals,” Bellamy said.

“It’s good to see all my classmates working side by side creating our own views,” Fernando Jimenez, photography major, said.

“The different people (in the program) help you find yourself, they help you define yourself,” Juarez said.

The photographers found inspiration in their artwork in many ways. Raul Juarez found it through a Filipino woman who became his muse.

“I really like ethnicity; she did this pose and it was like there you go!” Juarez said.

Some photographers found it in the things they are passionate about.

“I am very connected to death; it’s very important to me,” Green said about her cemetery series.

Others were inspired to take a stand against big, bad industries.

“I did this (photograph) out of frustration that young people think material things make the person; and to make fun of the (cosmetics industry),” Channing Martinez said about his piece called “Springtime”.

Lyn Watanabe incorporated “Mother Nature” into her photographs of trees and leaves.

“It is Yosemite, how can you not be inspired,” Watanabe said.

This exhibition is the first time for many of the photographers to have their photographs displayed to the public.

“I think it’s important for students to have the opportunity to exhibit their photographs, to help prepare them for professional opportunities,” Rowan said.

Rowan attributes the exhibition to the students.

“(This was a) student driven show from the beginning,” Rowan said.

Two student photographers helped curate and arrange the order of the exhibit to create a narrative.

“Darilyn does so much to help me and I just wanted to do (this) to say thank you,” Watanabe said.

“This is a wonderful exhibit and reception, photography itself is wonderful, wonderful to see what types of art is produced at EC,” Martinez said.