Guitarist’s smooth fingers riff his way to hearts

Heart-pounding riffs and smooth, sweet solos.

Michael Pearlson, 19, political science major, first found his niche for music when he picked up the guitar in the second grade. Pearlson has fallen in love with playing guitar ever since.

“My first performance was when I was really little,” Pearlson said. “I played a Christmas intro at church.”

Pearlson began to further his knowledge of music through private lessons and as he became more confident in his skills, he looked to join a band.

“The first band I was in was in middle school,” Pearlson said. “It was a punk band, I had the Mohawk going and everything.”

For a period of time, after being in his first band, Pearlson stopped playing the guitar as often. However, something kept him from quitting entirely.

“When I was on and off playing guitar for a while, I was still taking lessons which really helped me keep it up,” Pearlson said. ” I was preoccupied with school a lot of the time, but I always knew that I would keep playing guitar because it was so satisfying.”

Now, Pearlson is more of an avid player and has become anxious to learn more and to develop his talent.

He has been a part of the band Canor for about three years and is enjoying it to the fullest extent.

“The band has really been motivating me to practice more,” Pearlson said. “Jamming with the guys is a lot of fun.”

Canor is an alternative Rock band, which is Pearlson’s favorite genre of music to play, but he is eager to learn to play other styles of music as well.

“I would like to learn classical guitar and have always been interested in taking a guitar class at EC.” Pearlson said. “I am also interested in jazz and blues.”

Pearlson is discovering that there is a whole world of waiting to be explored, but realizing that it requires a lot of practice and discipline.

“I try to practice a little bit every day,” Pearlson said. “I probably practice for a half-hour, two or three times a day.”

For Pearlson, all the hard work and practice is worth the time and effort.

“When you play songs or riffs on guitar, sometimes they remind you of a movie, event or music that you experienced before, and you relive it in a way which is always good,” Pearlson said.

Pearlson enjoys all aspects of playing the guitar including: recording, performing, and improvising.

“I just love waiting around to do my parts when recording,” Pearlson said “Improvising is fun but can be difficult if you’re off that day.”

Music has become a huge part of Pearlson’s life and he is optimistic it will stay that way.

“It is fun to know how to play music.” Pearlon said. “It is always satisfying just to play guitar in my room.”

Pearlson believes that there is always room for improvement and plans on continuing to perfect his skill.

Learning music theory and how to read sheet music are high on Pearlson’s priority list.

“Music theory is tough, but it would be really fun to take lessons and learn,” Pearlson said.

Although Pearlson isn’t seeking a career in music, he admits that it is something he will never give up.

For now, Pearlson is spending most of his musical energy playing with Canor, who has just recorded a four-track demo and are playing local shows here and there.

“I will definitely stick with the band for now.” Pearlson said. “After I transfer I don’t know where my music will