“WJFA” clothing line promotes one designer’s visionary movement

The fashion bug bit McKenzie, when he worked at a T-shirt printing store called The Art Department.

There with the support of the owner, McKenzie was able to learn the process of silk-screening, and was even able to use the machines to create his shirts from the line.

“It was cool to have this deep pool of knowledge and being able to tap into that,” McKenzie said.

Stirling L.A. McKenzie, 20, is a business major student who may seem reserved at first, but there is much more to this ambitious young man than what you may expect.

In high school, McKenzie accomplished something else than just graduating. He established his very own fashion line called “We Just Fade Away” (WJFA).

WJFA is a portrayal of his insightful view of the world, and with it he wishes to produce shirts that have meaning.

“People need to care about what they wear, because it represents them,” McKenzie said.

The idea for the name WJFA came from General MacArthur’s address to Congress – “Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.”

McKenzie interpreted it as “once you contribute yourself so much to a cause, the cause doesn’t die. Although you may fade away, people accept what you’ve done.”

McKenzie’s family and friends have accepted and supported what he has done with the line, especially his business partner Spencer Dettlebach.

“[Dettlebach] provides good input and gave me the ability to handle this. He is more the head and I am more the heart,” McKenzie said.

The WJFA line for now, produces men’s shirts, but both artistic and visionary expansion is on the horizon.
    “I am working with artists to create a signature line that will demonstrate peace through simplicity,” McKenzie said.

Another collaboration includes Walter Mendez, EC student who specializes in women couture and shares the same vision as McKenzie.

They are planning to have a fashion show that will present their creations here at EC sometime this fall semester.

“I don’t want to take art and (just) put it on the shirt,” McKenzie said. I want to have the shirt be the artist’s canvas.”

We Just Fade Away has become a visionary tool for McKenzie. He can explore the deeper meaning clothing can have.

Although he is in the process to make WJFA into a business, the goal for the line is to create a movement.

“Within ten years I hope to have a movement. I could do this if at least one person understands what it is about,” McKenzie said.

“You are what you wear.”