Clarinet professor’s choir arrangements are stellar

With a passion for music from a young age, it is not surprising that Emeritus James Mack, applied music program professor, is having his clarinet choir arrangements published with a national publishing house.

“The arrangements were developed for use by my spring semester clarinet choir, but had been contemplated for years when I was too busy directing the bands, orchestra, shows, and jazz bands at El Camino College to sit down and do any writing,” Mack said.

Kendor Music Inc., a New York based publishing house, better known as the largest publishers of Jazz band arrangements, is publishing Mack’s arrangements.

“I always buy music at Marshalls Music here in Torrance, and over time I got to know the manager there and found out that she had connections to Kendor (Music Inc.).she made some phone calls and I sent in my arrangements,” Mack said.

According to ECC’s Public Relations and Marketing Department, Mack’s arrangement of the “Swedish Wedding March” by composer Johan Soderman, has been described as “sparkling” with “many dynamic changes, lilting melodies and all at a stately, processional pace.” Mack’s other published arrangement is “Ja Da” by Bob Carleston, a 1918 hit, that features a variety of swing styles and a solo section.

“I was happy that the musicians were successful because they deserved it,” Mack said. “I was also glad that the publisher agreed with me.”

Mack has specialized his talent and teachings within Classical and Jazz music and continues to write new arrangements, regardless of whether or not they get published.

“My teaching has allowed me to be able to try different arrangements and to better perfect them for an audience,” Mack said.

This allows Mack to test and experiment with new arrangements, which are refreshing and encourage students to try new and exciting things.

“The students enjoy playing the arrangements,” Mack said.

Many of his students have become high school music teachers and even highly regarded Los Angeles musicians.

“I wanted to play the clarinet since I was four years old, however, my parents did not give me lessons until I was eight,” Mack said.

Mack found his passion for clarinet at a young age and has pursued it with a 34-year teaching career.

“Maybe I will retire (from part time) teaching again when I am 95,” Mack chuckled.