Dark Comedy Shed Light on EC Campus

On the contrary of last year’s production, ‘Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat’, the EC theater department presents a dark-humored, yet graciously delivered musical, ‘Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street’.

The musical will be showing Fridays and Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sundays at 3 p.m. March 14 – 29.

“Sweeney” was a hit when it debuted on Broadway in 1979 winning many honors including Tony awards, making the musical the first of its “thriller” kind.

Since then many have recreated the dim story in their own different way without losing edginess of the original.

“It’s [a story] about a man whose life has been destroyed by a corrupt judge and comes back to seek vengeance”, director Ron Scarlata said.

For the past 20 years, Scarlata has been an instructor and director of many EC productions and it’s been a dream of his to direct “Sweeney.”

“We felt that this would be a show for El Camino to show it’s best foot forward,” Scarlata said.

Most people are familiar with the 2007 Tim Burton film version starring Johnny Depp that captured moviegoers with its incredible ability to simultaneously be visually light and dark. EC’s rendition of the musical has the same capability in its own way.

“The stage production is delivered in a lighter way, but still maintains it’s darkness,” Kimberly Youngblood, who plays Johanna Barker (Todd’s daughter).

Youngblood is a beaming and eager new face who is a self-proclaimed “baby” in the theater world. “My experience has been amazing,” Youngblood said. “Everyone is so professional and gives 110 percent.”

The character played by Youngblood, is the daughter of Sweeney Todd, Johanna Barker. She is also the ward of antagonist, Judge Turpin, played by Jack Messenger.

In a true character voice, Messenger says, “I’m the bad guy.”

Messenger, who is an experienced actor, said, “Sweeney is one of my favorite shows” and people should come to see the show if they want to be entertained by the visuals and engaged by the psychology of it all.

“It’s a challenging piece [that’s] not done as often [as others] and everything about it makes it a much more sophisticated choice,” Scarlata said.

With its operatic style, students will have the opportunity to explore a new side of musical theater, especially for those who have never experienced it before.

“It’s good for everyone because they get to see a very polished show. It’s an experience that will open up to them a new kind of theater,” Scarlata said.

Between the stage production and the play, there were many differences that some audience members will surly notice and others will just take with the rest of the story.

“There were quite a few cuts made in the movie,” Scarlata said. “They really trimmed the movie down and it wasn’t fully sung. It was more spoke-sung.”

“The movie is missing a real important part, which is the ensemble,” Messenger said. “The ensemble represents the attitude and sensibility of the people of England at that time. They are the audiences link to the main characters.”

“The ensemble as a whole is like one big lead [role]”, Youngblood said.

Although, a lot of main songs were cut from the movie which could have closed some loose ends for viewers, this is surly not a factor in the EC stage production.

Students watching this EC production may enjoy themselves seeing a fresh and new style. Scarlata’s cast is also the first in the bay area to recreate the story since the film.

“It’s such a professional show, everything down from the props we use to the lighting,” Youngblood said. “It’s such a dynamic show.”

“It has a lot to offer,” Scarlata said. “It tells a great story of good versus evil and it provides dark comedy with a lot of sly humor”. He adds, “It also has very vivid characters and really good music. I think there is a lot [for viewers] to appreciate.”