EL CAMINO COLLEGE ART GALLERY HOSTS MULTICULTURAL ART EXHIBIT

Artists from different cultural and spiritual backgrounds have collaborated on “Reflecting the Sacred” which is on display at EC’s art gallery February 17 through March 13.Some of the artists being featured are Daniel Martinez, Pascale Monin, and Liz Rossetta.

The Artists’ diversity is one of the unique aspects of this exhibit; their heritage ranges from Lebanese, Mexican, Japanese, and Haitian.

A few of the various spiritual backgrounds of the artists’ include Buddhism, Catholicism, and Hinduism.

“Each of these artists [from the exhibit] has been selected not only because of his/her cultural diversity, but also to exhibit the highly individual paths these artists have followed,” said Susanna Meiers, EC art gallery curator.

Pascale Monin presents dreamlike paintings in blended media with images that represent influences from both sides of her cultural background.

Monin’s images fuse Hinduism, Animism and Christianity together. Monin’s piece, “Calvaire” is the dramatic centerpiece of the exhibit; the painting features an ancient princess who has the body of two horses.

Daniel Martinez shows animated paper mache armored figures and ancient costumed paintings of skeletal characters inspired by the Mexican tradition of All Souls Day [Day of The Dead]. “El Vaquero” is a specific piece from Martinez that features a skeleton dressed up as a cowboy along side his horse in a ranch setting.

Liz Rosetta exhibits black and white lithographic representations of complex family scenes in theatrical settings, full of sacred architecture, Indian deities and Catholic nuns.

These works keep a chronological record of the psychic excursion of the artist through complicated areas and personal spiritual growth. In Rosetta’s etching “Sm’errova,” she is inspired by Rembrandt to portray a family tree and symbols of death.

The exhibit is highly recommended to all students and non-students that live in the Los Angeles area. There is a lot of diversity to ogle at and the passion these artists’ put into their works can be seen in a glance.