Julie Beloussow finds meaning in creating art

Pyschedelic art work is not very well represented on campus. However, Julie Beloussow, a 19-year-old graphic design major, is actively fighting against the grain. She shows off her creations: an antlered, furry bicycle, an array of pychedelic mushrooms and a luminescent plant that she said are designed to inspire.

“My goal is to share my world with people. There’s so much in my head that just demands to be seen and experienced,” Beloussow said.ÿ “I really feel that my talent isn’t for me, it’s for others.”

Beloussow, has been a student for the past two years. She has taken many of the art classes available, but she said she believes the art program’s range of media and styles is limited.

“El Camino has a great art department, but I feel they need more variety,” Beloussow said. “I’ll be going elsewhere to take some glass blowing classes.” ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

From the moment she could use a crayon, Beloussow said she had found her calling. The variety and versatility in her projects is apparent. In addition to acrylic, pastel, and ink work, she is well versed in the use of graphic arts.

Many of her images are retouched and given new dimensions in the digital medium. Perhaps her most striking work, however, is created through sculpture, fashion design, jewelry creation and innovative uses of fur.

Beloussow’s bicycle creation is covered (all but the tires) in fluffy green, black and blue fur. A pair of small antlers curves upward from the furry basket and beaded charms drip from its handlebars. The chain stay, one of the only non-furry bits, is painted with swirling black paisley designs. The bicycle is fully functional, too. She has even been known to fur a guitar or two.

In the corner of Beloussow’s room sits an Idea Plant rising out of its terra cotta pot.? The Idea Plant is a subtle, but powerful oddity. It is a physically apotted, corn-like plant, but instead of ears of corn it has incandescent lightbulbs sprouting in many different directions.

“Visitors walk by it all the time too, and not until later do they realize, ‘Oh my god! That plant is growing light bulbs!'” Beloussow said.

The Idea Plant’s creation, like much of Beloussow’s work, stems from a sense of lacking when working with two-dimensional media. Taking an idea from a flat piece of paper and giving it more depth is like bringing the idea to life.

Beloussow discovered early on that although often difficult to market, unique art can be lucrative. She runs a small business selling her work. Through her online store, Lil’ Shop O’ Strange, one can acquire all sorts of strange art, though the sculpted jewelry is definitely the highlight of the store.

A menagerie of sculpted mushrooms threaded on hemp necklaces are available, some with a detailed “third eye” inlaid in their cap, and some that glow; some even come in tiny bottles, like bits of preserved magic. Each piece seems infused with psychedelic personality.

In her online store and on her website, www.tripoutdesigns.com, one can view or purchase original art. Even the idea of selling her work came early.

ÿ”Remember the first generation of Pokemon? Yeah, I was probably eight or so. I could draw, and I would draw Pokemon, and kids in class would give me a dollar to draw their favorite one. ?I suppose that’s when I realized, hey – I love doing this, and it sells!” Beloussow said.

ÿEach work, whether sold, given, or simply displayed, is meant to reach out to others. They are meant to instill in the mind a sense of the infinite nature of our creativity. That is the goal of each whimsical piece.

“When someone is so intrigued or inspired by what I do and who I am, and can really derive something more from my artwork, I feel as if I’m fulfilling my deeds in this life,” Beloussow said.

ÿ

ÿ