Bass player plucks his way to fame and fortune

Hot wheels race cars and LEGO blocks are among the common toys that five and six-year-old kids play with. However, for EC student Zach Bozeman, the toy that he often played with at that age was his dad’s drum set.

The 19-year-old Bozeman is a multi-talented musician. He first started with the drums because his dad had kept a drum set in Bozeman’s room. Along with playing the drums, he can also play the acoustic/electric guitar, piano, but currently, his passion is playing the bass guitar which is the instrument he plays in his band, Canor. He learned to play the piano at the age of 8, electric guitar at 10, then eventually at 14, he picked up the bass guitar.

“I took lessons when I was young because I really enjoyed music at the time and I really fell in love with it,” Bozeman said. “Once I took those lessons, it opened the doors for me to expand on those talents.”

When he was around the 10th grade, Bozeman and some of his friends started a rock-a-billy band named Marvin Holly and the Sunshine Blasters. In the band, Bozeman played the bass guitar and that was around the time when he became serious with it.

“When we started that band and I played bass, that’s when I started to really get good at it,” Bozeman said. “So ever since then, I have been really focused on the bass including now with my current band.”

He recalls a memorable experience when he was in the 11th grade. For the fall school play, “11th Night,” by Shakespeare, Bozeman played the bass along with the live band in the background. He says that the band received great reviews and that was around the time when he knew he had the potential to be serious with his music.

Sadly, his high school band, Marvin Holly and the Sunshine Blasters only lasted about a year, because school got really busy for him and he also started to work during that school year.

However, in August of 2007, Bozeman joined the band Canor, and he got a chance to get to know the other members of the group. He already knew Mike Pearlson (guitarist) from grade school, but he also got the chance to meet CollinKleinan (drums) and Alex Heiner (lead vocals, guitarist).

“I really liked their style, and I knew I would be a great addition to the band so I joined them,” Bozeman said.

Canor, is an indie/alternative pop rock band and it has a song titled “Shambles” which Bozeman said is a song that has a potential to be a hit song.

Although Bozeman is optimistic about the band, he also said that the band members are full-time students at EC which makes it difficult for them to schedule practice times. In order for them to record songs, they drive east to Joshua Tree.

“When we go to the Joshua Tree, it takes about two to three hours just to get there,” Bozeman said. “Then we record from about 12-7 and drive back home. We want to record a few more songs so we can send them out to music producers.”

As for school, Bozeman is undecided on his major but would like to major in the field of music or art since he loves to draw.

Bozeman said he realizes the potential he has for music and art, but he knows that nothing will be given to himand that he has to work extremely hard for everything that he wants in life.

“I’ll see where life takes me. I’ll just continue to focus in school since it is my number one priority right now,” Bozeman said. “As far as the band goes, I would love to tour around the world and become successful with my band mates knowing that we made it.”