Clarinet and saxophone sensation excels

There is a cliché that says, “music is the universal language.” This cliche applies even if the language is spoken through a saxophone and a clarinet for five hours every day.

That is the kind of passion that 17-year-old-clarinet and saxophone sensation Anibal Seminario, has for music. Seminario is a new student at EC and he moved to the U.S. from Peru in February right before he attended spring semester.

Like aspiring musicians abroad, Seminario came to this country to find better opportunities and a place where music was supported more.

He first started playing saxophone when he was 13 and then the clarinet at 15.

“I practiced two instruments for five hours everyday in Peru,” Seminario said.

Five hours of practice time everyday might be difficult for any teenager nowadays, but for Seminario it was routine.

“You have to practice if you want to be good,” Seminario said.

Now that he is in America, he doesn’t get to practice for five hours every day because of the demands of college work.

“I am taking 15 units now, so it’s hard for me to practice that long, so I practice here at school and at private lessons once a week, but I still practice at home whenever I have time,” Seminario said.

Going to a new school and living in a new country takes a lot of adjusting and Seminario is finding it difficult.

“I miss Peru, I really do, but I want to finish school here and look forward to a good future,” Seminario said.

His goals are to finish school and then transfer to a music school. He also wants to start his own Latin jazz band and be a performer.

Since he does not have a lot of friends here in the U.S, Seminario misses Peru, which is why he turns to his clarinet or saxophone for comfort and guidance.

“I get sad a lot, because I miss my friends back home, but that’s where music helps me a lot,” Seminario said. “I just start playing my instruments, so I can vent and express my feelings through them.”

Semnario wishes that students at EC would say hi to him or make it easier for them to be approached.

“I am very shy, and I get nervous with people, so if people see me around, don’t be afraid to say hi as I would love to make new friends,” Seminario acknowledged.

Aside from his work ethic of practicing for countless hours everyday, he gives credit to Dr. Dean Teter, head of the Applied Music Program.

“Dr. Teter has helped me out a lot; he lets me borrow his saxophone and clarinet, and he also has taught me so much,” Seminario said.

Seminario knows that he has a long way to go, but with his work ethic and dedication to music, he is on his way.

“Practice, practice, practice. You cannot expect to be great if you don’t practice it takes a lot of hard work, but it is worth it,” Seminario said.