Applied Music Program propels student success

While hikes in the cost of tuition and textbooks tug at the pockets of most students, it is nearly impossible for some students with musical talent to afford the added cost of private music lessons and tutoring. However, the Applied Music Program at EC allows serious student musicians the opportunity for free private lessons and a chance to improve their musical talent.

Dr. Dane Teter, coordinator of the program, says that the Applied Music Program can help a student not only improve his or her skill but aid them in the process of transferring to a 4-year college or help them find a career in the music industry.

“This is a great program for those who are serious about music, especially for those that want to expand their growth in the music industry,” Teter said.

The Applied Music Program (music 23abcd and music 90abcd), is a one-unit course. It is for students who are serious about improving their musical abilities and for those who have an intermediate level of skill. The program has been a part of the EC curriculum for more than 20 years.

Auditions are held each semester during the first week of instruction only.

Once the student is accepted into the program, they will have a chance to showcase their talent in a variety of performances.

“If they are accepted, they’ll get to perform in Jazz combos, recitals, duets, quartets and other ways to improve their skill,” Teter said.

Students are also required to practice for 6 hours per week, participate in a weekly recital class, and also take part in the large performance ensemble at EC.

Esai Saucedo, a guitarist and music major, loves the program and the opportunity it presents.

“Musicians always want to get better but they can’t afford the lessons, because they are too expensive,” Suacedo said.

Instead of paying for expensive music lessons, Saucedo has found an alternative.

“Each week, you get a one hour private lesson with one of the instructors at no additional charge,” Saucedo said. “All I pretty much paid was $50, and I get 16 one-hour lessons. I get to perform in front of my peers and teachers and I develop great friendships with students and faculty. It’s amazing.”

Maya Perez, music therapy major and violinist, enjoys the help and the support everyone gives.

“The teachers, are always easy to find, and they will give you constructive criticism if they think it could help you out,” Perez said.

The program has opened doors to success for many students in the past and present.

“We have had students that moved on to prestigious four-year programs such as UCLA and USC,” Teter said. “We had a student that started here and who is playing for the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet and someone who came from the program is now a back-up trumpet player for Barry Manilow.”