Student photographers star in gallery show

By Suzy Brown

Arts Editor

Let the EC student-curated photo exhibition, “Collective Visions,” at the The Loft Studios and Gallery in San Pedro be an inspiration for student artists who are hesitant about showing their work to the public.

The nine photographers that participated in the exhibit milled around, sold some photos and chatted to the crowd at the artists reception on Thursday, Sept. 4 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

The artists were excited that things were going so well.

For some, like Lyn Watanabe, who also curated curated the exhibit, it was their first experience in showing their artwork.

“Collective Visions” is open for appoint only for the next two weeks, but Watanabe is holding her own show, “Frame: Frame, a photographic journey”, Oct. 2 from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the The Loft Studios and Gallery, 401 South Mesa, San Pedro.

“Since it was my very first show I didn’t know what to expect, but it was actually a huge turnout and I am really happy,” Watanabe said.

Watanabe was inspired to do the show because her photo instructor, Susan St. Marie, used to make a gallery exhibition part of the curriculum final for her class.

Due to the stress and the financial burden it placed on the students, she stopped requiring it.

However, Watanabe’s curiosity was piqued, so she contacted galleries over the winter break not really expecting to get a ‘yes’, but to her surprise, she got a ‘yes’.

“I didn’t think I had enough work to fill a gallery, so I asked some of my classmates and a couple of my friends who were into photography if they wanted to show with me,” Watanabe said.

“I took on the role as curator, which means I am supposed to pick what pieces are to be in the show, but I wanted to be really democratic and I also wanted it to be collective,” Watanabe said.

“We all opened our portfolios and we voted and took the top four pieces of what we wanted to show.”

Samantha Westbrook, photography major, exhibited four images, two of which were shot in New York City in Central Park, titled “Serenity” and “Manhattan.”

“Serenity” is a black and white film picturing a bridge nestled in greenery and its reflection in the water below.

“”Manhattan” is a juxtaposition of nature and the city; the background shows how something can be peaceful yet modernized with high rises looming behind the Park,” Westbrook said.

Cassandra Hradecky, photography major, sold two of her four exhibiting photos that night.

“I am hoping to gain confidence from my experience today,” Hradecky said.

“I just want people to know that if you have a goal, just to go for it. I took forever to find my major and then I finally found photography because I enjoyed taking pictures and I love traveling. I think that is my niche.”

Hradecky, Westbrook and Watanabe have decided to transfer and get their bachelor’s degrees in photography.

Students are welcome to view “Collective Visions” by appointment only. Interested persons may call 310-293-7431 for more information.

“I am so thrilled to be here this evening to support our talented and hard working photo students,” Darilyn Rowan, photography professor, said. “The work is spectacular and I am so proud of them.”