Women’s Choir to perform for encores

Celebrating 10 years of success, the EC Women’s Choir will perform some of its most popular songs, originating from the 18th century to the present.

In a concert titled “Echoes and Encores,” the Women’s Choir will take the stage and perform its most revered songs Sunday in the Haag recital Hall at 7 p.m. Admission is $8.

“We are going to be featuring the music of Baldassare Galuppi, other classical composers, Broadway and popular music,” Dr. Joanna Nachef, director of the Women’s Choir, said.

Nachef said she believes there is an abundance of hard-working individuals who all have something to contribute to the group.

“There is a nice array of talent here. They are a delightful group.

Some are recent, some are from before, some have even aired on television,” Nachef said.

The individual singers within the choir are as diverse as the various notes they have to sing in the performance.

There are some professional vocalists singing beside amateur singers who are just beginning to explore their voices and discover what is comfortable for them.

Many of the women in the choir have the privilege of singing alongside their daughters; there are various generations combining their voices and their talents to create an unforgettable evening of music.

“We have singers from 16 years old all the way up to 75 years old, but the age difference is not a problem; we are all here for the same reason,and that is to make beautiful music,” choir member Marcia Armstrong said.

Although Armstrong has been with the group for eight years, she honed her talents through singing semi-professionally for 30 years.

“I’ve been doing it long enough where the nerves don’t become as big as a factor for me anymore,” Armstrong said.

Students on campus who have been to the Women’s Choir performances in the past have enjoyed the experience of listening to live music performed successfully.

It is that same experience the Women’s Choir is hoping people attending the show will take away with them for their upcoming concert.

With the assorted musical selection they plan to perform, Nachef said she believes there is going to be something for everybody to enjoy.

“It is going to be very good music and it is going to be music for everybody,” Nachef said.