Dance ensemble mixes it up

Claps, jumps, spins and twirls could be seen as EC’s dance ensemble practiced their routines during one of many rehearsals as they prepare for the spring dance concert “Everybody Dance!” opening May 1 at 1 p.m. in the Campus Theatre.

“There is a little bit of everything,” Bernice Boseman, director, said. “There are various choreographies including dance numbers from jazz, tap, to modern dance and even a car wash number from the ’70s that we are remaking.”

“It’s a hot, sexy dance with a mix of hip-hop, African, salsa and fierceness,” De’Niko Welch, dancer and student choreographer, said.

Welch also has his own choreographed number titled, “Instrumentality.com” in which there are five dancers who use chairs as their energy sources.

“Harmony,” a lyrical gospel number being performed by seven dancers, is choreographed by student choreographer and dancer Toyka Whitley.

“‘Harmony’ is about being in harmony with each other, God and one’s self,” Whitley said.

“Rising Angels,” is a modern dance piece choreographed by sophomore Jazmin Harris about demons capturing angels and their subsequent release from captivity.

“Two demons manage to capture ten angels but some happen to sneak away and end up rescuing the captured ones,” Harris said.

The show will also feature a ballet number entitled “Oz” that will be danced to Sarah Vaughan’s version of “Over the Rainbow,” in which director Daniel Berney is set to play the character of Oz.

“We are all in character and dance according to movements of that character, whether it is the Scarecrow or the Lion,” student dancer Jaymi Barr said.

“Fourth Floor” is the closing number that is centered around an elevator that stops on certain floors where each floor is has its own music and style of dancing.

“Each floor plays its own music and has its own distinctive personality to with it,” Barr said. “It’s a modern dance number full of acrobatics, flips, jumps and high energy.”

The theme of the production is showcases the various dance numbers produced by Berney, Boseman and Pam Santelman.

“People will be surprised,” Lauren Clark, dancer, said. “They are going see how much we like to dance and see how much time and effort we have put into it.”

“Everybody Dance!” is scheduled to run through Sunday May 4 with Friday and Saturday showings at 8 p.m. and a final show on Sunday at 3 p.m. Tickets cost $12.