Comedic spin on biblical sin

Bright lights, colorful costumes, a large cast, dancing and a variety of music is shaping the comedic musical “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” to open tomorrow night at 8 p.m. in the Campus Theatre.

The musical will be showing Fridays and Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sundays at 3 p.m. through March 30.

“The show will be great,” director Caryn Desai said.

If one is not familiar with “Joseph,” it follows the Biblical trials of Joseph a young man who is betrayed by his 11 other brothers because their father favors Joseph over the them.

As a sign of the father’s favoritism, he gives Joseph a colorful coat as a gift which enrages the other brothers, making matters worse.

Joseph’s brothers fake his death by removing his colorful coat and smearing goat’s blood on it to trick their father into believing in Joseph’s untimely demise. This sets the audience up for the fall and rise of Joseph throughout the rest of the musical.

The play was originally created by Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber and is based on the “Coat of Many Colors” story in the Bible.

However, for the most part, the show is not religious.

There is also no dialogue in the show among characters because the whole show is done in song and dance.

“It’s very humorous and lighthearted,” Diane Simons, artistic director of the Southbay Children’s Choir, said.

EC’s production of “Joseph” has vocal direction by Joanna Nachef and musical director Hector Salazar, who choreographed the show.

The show will include songs inspired by rock ‘n’ roll, country and even tunes from the roaring ’20s in the style of the Charleston, as well as a supporting performance from the South Bay Children’s Choir.

There are a couple of songs that country music lovers will enjoy such as the ballad “One More Angel in Heaven,” sung by Joseph’s brothers after they fake Joseph’s death.

Each night at rehearsals, a different element of the show was added to prepare the cast for opening.

Tuesday night, the cast practiced with costumes and full face makeup and proved they were ready for the big show.

People may be drawn to the vibrant costumes, sets and props which include an opening pyramid, a sphinx with sunglasses and a technicolor background that changes throughout the production.

While there are a few kinks to be worked out on the show, the costumes by designer Kim Deshazo include flapper dresses, a white-studded Elvis jumpsuit, cowboy attire and the very shiny dreamcoat itself.

The cast and crew put hard work into rehearsals, but the cast seems to be enjoying the process as they put in their time and dedication to the production.

“Dedication to the arts; that’s what it’s about,” Nachef said.

If rehearsals are an indication of what to expect when the curtain comes up for “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat,” expect a masterpiece tomorrow.

“People will be saying, ‘I’m coming again and paying $18,” Nachef said.