Alumni spotlights ‘Crenshaw Boulevard’ in new film

We’ve made it to the big screen.

Thanks to alumni Dan Wozniak, the astronomy department’s observatory deck had its moment to shine in his new movie “Crenshaw Boulevard.”

Wozniak, 41, premiered the movie Feb. 22 at the Warner Grand Theatre in San Pedro.

“I included EC because of the observatory deck,” Wozniak said, ” I went there for a chemistry class, but you also see the observatory deck when you drive past EC.”

Crenshaw Boulevard is a 24-mile stretch beginning at Wilshire and ending in the Palos Verdes area.

“There’s a lot about Crenshaw Boulevard that most do not know,” Wozniak said.

“We wanted to focus more on the positive aspects than the negative aspects,” he said.

Some people may wonder why the long road was chosen as the main theme for this movie.

“(It) has everything,” Wozniak said. “The problem is.we hardly take the time to just look.”

Producer Chris Molony made comments about Wozniak and his work on his movie.

“I have known Wozniak for 30 years, so this is also an exciting day for me too,” Molony said.

Molony stated that “It’s more about sending a message to everyone…living on Crenshaw Boulevard or not.”

Charity organization Las Candalistas sponsered the movie. Their mission is to raise funds to support charities all over the South Bay area.

All ticket proceeds made that night were put toward benefitting these charities.

“We usually give over $100,000 to support charities,” Cynthia Johnson, active member of Las Candalistas, said.

Random people who were interviewed in the documentary to share their personal experiences

“We drove around and people were willing to be interviewed,” Molony said.

While growing up in Palos Verdes, Wozniak had other passions beside filmmaking.

“I wanted to become a pilot, doctor, or a graphic artist,” Wozniak said.

Instead of going through with these careers, he decided to make a movie about one of the most important aspects to Los Angeles.

“Crenshaw Boulevard encompasses what humanity wants. It took about 18 months to get it together, but the reaction from the audience was ecstatic,” Wozniak said.

Wozniak took some time to talk about on of his favorite scenes in the movie.

“I really liked the part with Father David because he identifies with people form foreign lands,” Wozniak said, “He helps out the community in so many ways.”

Wozniak hopes that the film will inspire everyone to appreciate the little things .

“We get so busy that we forget about looking.”

To find more information about when and where else to see this film, visit www.crenshawboulevard.com.