Classical meets modern in orchestra concert

Combinations of classical and contemporary musical performances are due to set the Marsee Auditorium stage on fire with the show “Honda Winter Classic” featuring the South Bay Youth Orchestra (SBYO) on Saturday at 7 p.m.

“I think it’s a really nice mix of music and it will get you in the holiday spirit,” Patrick Schulz, assistant director, said. “Its contemporary composers represented all the way to classical
    composers.”

The cost to get into this concert is $8 but all ticket sales will benefit the Youth Orchestra Scholarship Fund. The concert is also sponsored by Honda, hence the title of the show.
    “When Dr. Doyle started the orchestra, he did it in conjunction with Honda,” Bruce Tellier, music instructor, said.

“Every year through their support, as well as contributions from our supporters, we’re able to give graduating seniors scholarships,” Tellier said.

Tellier is the main director of the orchestra, which was originally founded by music professor William Doyle in 1995. It is Tellier’s first year being in full control, and it is currently under the management of Jennifer Roth.

“Last year I co-directed with Dr. Doyle and he retired this year,” Tellier said.

The selection of music included in the ensemble varies from piece to piece and composer to composer. Schulz says that the music will be from anything and “everything from traditional Christmas songs to classical, like Mozart Symphony.”

“There’s a couple of solo’s. There’s a Haydn trumpet concerto and a flute concerto that is being played by the manager of the SBYO, Jennifer Roth,” Schulz said.

The young musicians will play famous pieces from many well-known composers, such as Holst, Reed and Walton. The 120-member orchestra consists of children ranging from age seven to 17, except for one EC student who has been a member for a number of years.

“(The audience) will be impressed by their abilities as young musicians,” Schulz said.

Performing as guests, L.A. Metro Brass, directed by Ivor Bosanko, will join the SBYO in staging Russian Christmas music as well as their performance on their own as an ensemble.

There are two parts to the SBYO; the Chamber Orchestra, which is the smaller group, and then there is the whole orchestra altogether.

“The first half of the concert will be the Chamber Orchestra and the second half will be all the students (playing) together,” Schulz said.

The youthful members of the orchestra seem to be nervous about their presentation for up to 2,000 people. Caitlyn Lohman, 13, of Palos Verdes Intermediate School plays the oboe and has been with SBYO for a year.

“I think we’re going to do pretty good. I’m excited about it and a little nervous,” Lohman said.

The orchestra has been practicing ever since the third week of the semester and the rehearsals have been intense.

“We had a difficulty in the fact that the semester was shorter for us. We had two holidays on our rehearsal nights,” Tellier said.
    The favorable response from past performances is hoped for this time.

“It’s a very large group, and we have multiple strings and multiple winds so that should provide a really good concert,” Schulz said.