Rockers play for Katrina

A rock star strums his guitar, belts out lyrics and reaches down to touch hands with the screaming fans in the rows closest to the stage. This may seem like a typical concert, but some artists are performing for a cause.

After Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast, many popular musicians have been performing benefit concerts, sending the proceeds to Hurricane Katrina relief. Dane Teter, director of instrumental music at Marsee Auditorium, said these concerts may help students become involved in helping the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

“It’s a nice way to bring awareness,” Teter said. “People don’t always read the paper or watch the news.”

Many people don’t regularly follow the news because they get tired of hearing about depressing stories, Teter said. He said that because there is so much negative news to report in situations such as the disaster of Hurricane Katrina, journalists are rarely able to report positive stories.

“I think that’s unfortunate because there is so much positive stuff going on; there are people trying to help other people,” Teter said. “These are things that, as humans, we hope to see everywhere.”

Jante Fabien, 18, criminal justice major, said that most students are drawn to concerts and celebrities, but they don’t always keep up with events in the news.

“I don’t think we read the papers much,” he said.

Jason Zhaw, a 20-year-old business major, said that by performing benefit concerts, celebrities are reaching out to students.

“It definitely is a good thing; it will mostly be young people who go to the concerts,” he said.

By donating to the hurricane relief, celebrities also greatly influence their following of fans, Teter said.

“It’s obvious that celebrities have a great influence on what’s happening socially and politically,” he said. “I like when celebrities get together for good causes and bring awareness.”

He said that celebrities can be a positive influence on society by contributing to good causes and encouraging others to do likewise, but they may also cause more trouble when they speak out on issues.

“Once politics are involved, things are seen a little differently,” he said.

Teter said that when celebrities become actively involved in politics, they stir up controversy more than they help bad situations.The credibility of the celebrity also affects the impact the celebrity makes, Teter said.

“I think how they present themselves and their ideas matters; if a person is known for having a big mouth, people might not think much about it,” he said. “Sometimes you have to be within the same sort of frame as the audience you’re trying to address.”

Teter said that, in general, celebrities have had a positive influence when contributing to Hurricane Katrina and celebrities who are contributing time to help the cause are being just as helpful as those contributing money.

“Everyone can contribute in their own manner,” he said.