19-year-old Kristen Cavuto thrives at singing, dancing, acting on stage

Being a good actor by itself is a hard enough thing for some people, but not for music performance major Kristen Cavuto. Not only can this 19-year-old act, but she can also sing and dances.

“I can sing, dance and act, but only good enough to get by,” Cavuto said.

As a child, Cavuto was inspired by musical theater when she was taken by her father to see a play, she said.

“My dad’s former school nurse, who was kind of like a second grandmother to us, took us to go see the production of ‘The Fiddler on the Roof,'” Cavuto said. “I saw it and I just loved it.”

Even before she saw that play, Cavuto was always a child who loved to be at the center of attention.

“When I saw the musical, I realized that I wanted to do that,” Cavuto said.

The first lead role Cavuto did was in a play for her high school in which she played a narrator.

“I was a freshman in high school when I did my first lead role in the play Joseph (and the Amazing,Technicolor Dream Coat), which is based on the biblical story of him and his brothers; I played the narrator,” Cavuto said.

One of the characters Cavuto played, which is her favorite part of all time, was her role in “Les Miserables.”

“I got lost in the role of Eponine in ‘Les Miserables,'” Cavuto said. “I really connected with her character.”

Recently, she has taken a year break to see if she wanted to pursue a career in something other than theater, but she found herself coming back to it.

“Currently, I haven’t done anything with theater because I am recently getting off that year off,” Cavuto said.

“I am trying to see if I should major in music instead, but the theater is calling (me) back, so I am going back to that,” she said.