Models, designers strut their stuff in upcoming showcase

Gracefully, the tall, lean, young woman saunters across the makeshift runway. Music guides her every step as she confidently sways her body to the pulsating beat. She holds her head up, seemingly unfazed by the time and space surrounding her.

However, more must be done in preparation for the 23rd Annual Fashion Show. The final stitches must be applied to the clothing. The advertising committee must reach out to the community and gather support. And the models must perfect their strut before the June 3 event rolls around.

When the package is finally complete, the Fashion Show, taking place at the Marsee Auditorium at 7:30 p.m., will be an exciting display of style and beauty and how the two combined can be a powerful means of human expression.

“The Fashion Show demonstrates the freedom of expression to be who you are,” Matthew Paul, Model Coordinator, said. “It shows emotion through clothing. You can be as creative as you want to be.”

That creativity can trace its beginnings to Melanie McFarland’s Fashion 42 class.

The class is mostly female and it works like a group of mad scientists in a mysterious laboratory, designing and sewing up original clothing to be worn by the models.

“Fashion design is my passion,” Jackie Suntay, who also serves on the event’s advertising committee, said. “I have been doing this for two years, and it excites me. I love to see my ideas take form.”

The models are unquestionably attractive; perhaps Nat King Cole had them in mind when he sang “The Girl from Ipanema”-many of them are “tall, tan, young and lovely.” However, it would be mistake to think they were chosen on good looks alone.

“Of course the models have to be good-looking,” Paul, who selected the models at a March 23 model call, said.

However, there’s more to the models than just a pretty face.

“Personality plays a big part. And we don’t frown upon plus-sized models,” he said.

“I’ve always wanted to be a star, and this is my start. If you’ve got the body for it, go for it,” Janet Salamanca, model and business management major, said.

Young women in form-fitting clothing wait in the queue until they get their chance to step out on the runway and strut their stuff.

McFarlane, who found an outlet for her expression in the fashion industry, says she wants her designers to know that they have to work hard to get ahead.

“Designers should remember they are creative people. People will put them down, but it is important for them to remember who they are,” she said.