Orchestra serves as outlet for creativity

Strummed violins and humming woodwinds fall silent under dim lights as the conductor steps up to the stage.

Half-hidden behind the mahogany podium, Chika Emori, 17, stands before the ensemble of performers ranging from ages 7 to 17.

“Guys, could we try it again? Only, I don’t know… a little better?” she says.

The children snicker, returning their instruments to their chins and their mouthpieces to their lips to practice “Two Sketches,” a piece written by Peter Xifaras and to be conducted by Emori.

The young performers, high school and college students alike, rehearse as part of the South Bay Youth Orchestra, SBYO, directed by Dr. William Doyle, music professor.

“This is, by far, the most talented orchestra we’ve ever had,” Doyle said.

The SBYO will perform at the Marsee Auditorium next Saturday at 7 p.m.

Despite the level of talent the orchestra possesses, he regrets that many will not go on to become music majors. Doyle said many of the performers’ area of study is science, and music is what they do to entertain themselves.

“Some are good musicians, but it’s not what they’re going to do,” Doyle said. “A lot of these kids do it because it’s an outlet; it’s what they love to do.”

He said one of his students “would study his vocabulary list when he wasn’t playing,” with the list of words taped to the back of his cello.

In contrast to other orchestras, Emori said the SBYO is free of the pressure put on by parents and conductors. As a result, the children can still enjoy playing an instrument and performing.

“It’s not as strict as other orchestras I’ve been in. It’s more for fun,” Emori, former concert mistress and conductor, said. “We don’t do competitions as an orchestra, but we still learn. ”

Emori has been playing violin for 13 years and is in her fifth year of the SBYO with Doyle.

Doyle said this year’s performance features an American theme, rather than a European theme, usually predominant with classical music.

“This is the first time we’ve done an American music program.” Doyle said. “I want them (the performers) to have had a variety of musical experiences, whether they’re music majors or not.”

Shota Hanai, 21, is a percussionist for the SBYO and said while his experiences have been indescribable, he enjoys the pieces selected for this year’s performance.

“All of them (the pieces) are fun to play, and there’s no one that’s more fun to play than the other,” Hanai said. “As long as it’s American, I like it.”

The orchestra will perform a selection of music that includes American Indian music, orchestra music, jazz, Hawaiian music, even an original piece that reflects Jimi Hendrix’s influence on rock music.

“The idea of the program is to present the range of American music,” Doyle said. “There’s literally something for everybody.”

Doyle points out the versatility and open-mindedness of the performers as one of their assests.

“What surprises me most about them is how willing they are to try just about anything. They embrace everything,” Doyle said.

The performance will include special guests Susan Asbjornson, soprano; Charles Lee, cello and Yumi Hashimoto and Jun Kurasako, piano.

To illustrate an American Indian theme, Doyle said the show will feature a neon-colored backdrop of a drum, which symbolizes “the heartbeat of American music” and various visual elements.

“It will draw upon last year’s performance, but it will be more upbeat and fast-paced,” Doyle said.

“It will be a whole other level of entertainment, plus a few surprises,” he said.