Students artists present exhibits in various South Bay venues

Prints of skulls line one wall. On another hangs a mixed media painting of a flower surrounded by candy wrappers. In the middle of the room sits a giant sculpture, an abstract, metallic gold mangle of curves.

Not bad for a bunch of up-and-coming student artists.

The Art Gallery Management class is home for students who want the products of their creative juices in the limelight. Once a week for a semester, budding artists may catch a glimpse of what it’s like to be in the business.

Fine arts majors make up about 75 percent of the class, while art history majors make up the other 25 percent, Michael Miller, Art Gallery Management Professor and intermedia artist said.

“Whether you’re an artist on the outside coming to the inside or a curator, you have to know the same issues,” Miller said.

The issues discussed in the class include handling artwork properly, legal matters and how to design and curate exhibitions.

“Most of the damage done to a piece of artwork is done by the artist,” Miller said.

As part of the class, assignments are to set up an exhibit using those skills.

Designing the exhibit, contacting the press, booking locations, making fliers and holding the reception are just a few of the steps taken in setting up an exhibit.

“A one-day exhibit takes just as much time as a 30-day exhibit to prepare,” Miller said.

No wonder the class entitled this semester’s collection of exhibits after an Emily Dickinson quote, “Much Madness is Divinest Sense,” so named because of the considerable number of the exhibits being done.

“Everyone’s so enthusiastic,” Esther Salomon, 28, art history major, said.

Class participation and interaction is a crucial part of Art Gallery Management.

“The class gives ideas and collaborates and we come up with some really good stuff,” Kristin Hazen 22, fine arts major, said.

Lectures are kept to a minimum. Instead, most of the work is hands-on, accomplished outside of the classroom and at various venues.

“The shows that we do are a means to learn without a textbook,” Sabrina Castro, 19, art history major, said.

Leadership and professionalism are also important aspects of gallery management and curating events.

“This class shows followers how to be leaders,” Miller said. “You have to be self-promoting and you have to build up confidence.”

Castro signed up for the class to familiarize herself with the art scene.

“I figured the class would let me get to know the business aspect of art,” she said.

Attendees at the first exhibit in the EC Inglewood Center this month found the experience satisfying.

“I’m blown away,” board of trustees member Mary E. Combs said. “The exhibit is beautiful.”

GALLERIES:

“Unfiltered Creative Grounds”
    Maggie’s Coffeehouse
    22244 Palos Verdes Blvd.
    Torrance
    Saturday – June 3

“Adapt To Your Surroundings With Wilderness Art”
    Wilderness Park Amphitheater
    1102 Camino Real
    Redondo Beach
    May 7 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.

“The Last Annual Anti-thematic Art Dispersion”
    Dechemel’s Coffeehouse and Bakery
    1616 Craven’s Ave.
    Torrance
    May 14 – June 15