Film puts club back into the limelight

All it took was just a little restarting to shake things up.

The Cinema Arts Club will debut its biggest project of the year, “Restart,” Saturday, April 23 in Marsee Auditorium at 7 p.m.

Clubs come and go, but real passion is unrelenting. In the spring of 2004, a core group of four people who, coincidentally, were all film majors, decided to sharpen the edges of the then-defunct Cinema Arts Club by electing cabinet members.

It was Felipe Gomez, Jason Palines, Christopher Rubio and Alex Calderon’s plan to gather people who are passionate about working on film projects. Ultimately, this led to the club’s revamping.

“Originally, there was a Cinema Arts Club, but it dissipated. There were no cabinet members, no money- there was just the name,” Jason Palines, director of “Restart,” said.

A year later, the club finds itself in post-production of its first movie, “Restart.” Directed by the club’s co-founder, Jason Palines, the 35-minute dark love story explores various ideas, such as challenging one’s own fate, the persistence of desire and the consequences of loving.

“Everybody felt that I should be the one to direct it because I had experience and I’d been in the film program. We can’t just let anybody direct the short. There’s a lot more than people think when it comes to directing,” Palines said.

The club is a way for film majors and tudents to collaborate with other students for projects to practice what they learn, express themselves, network with people and find opportunities to enter into the film industry.

“Whatever your major is, there’s an opportunity to try your hand at it. Film encompasses so many aspects, so many varied skills and talents-actors, cinematographers, fashion, audio sound music, prop making, machining,” Dodger Ruiz, producer, said.

Financially, the project was funded by the club’s income that mainly comes from freelance projects, TV tapings and donations from various establishments.

“I loved the outpour of donations we received from local businesses such as Starbucks and L&L Hawaiian barbeque which kept the cast and crew wired and fed throughout the production,” Ruiz said.

Although the movie was a team effort among a group of friends, where everybody knew each other outside the club, crafting the movie is not just about constantly hanging out and letting everything run by itself.

Director of photography Ash Rahmanou said that creating the movie was grueling and difficult because of the multiple responsibilities placed on each member.

“We have to be like a team of Swiss Army knives-everybody has to know a bit of everything,” Rahmanou said.

The scenes in the movie were shot all over the South Bay area, such as Alondra Park, Manhattan Beach, Studio City, Carson, as well as on campus and at some restaurants nearby.

Main actor Jason Ellefson says that flexibility is an important factor when working with the cast.

“They really let me have the full reigns of the character and I appreciate their help and useful advice,” Ellefson said.

Putting together a film has a lot more work involved than just buying a decent camera and getting a bunch of people to do stunts-to be able to keep a professional working environment, the cast and crew have to get along well and sort of each other’s differences.

Film editor Eric Weiner says that “Restart” gives the cast and crew a chance to work as professional on something that they love.

“There are some incredibly talented people working on this and because of that, I have some incredible footage,” Weiner said.

Palines agrees that putting together a film, no matter how short it is, requires skill, patience and direction.

“I coach them with a scene, and there are a lot of things that comes up- I can’t say it’s all fun all the time. It’s the responsibility of the director to know and believe-if your belief if strong, it’s easy for people to follow it. If you don’t believe, nobody else will believe,” Palines said.

One of the driving forces that the members of the club have is the friendship that they get inspiration from.

They all share the same goal, which is to execute vague ideas into concrete projects— hence the name of their production company, “Visions to Reality Productions.”

“It’s about how much work, time and effort you are willing to put into it. It’s about how bad do you really wanted to accomplish something-why not do it, especially here where I have the opportunity,” Palines said.

Since the club is ever-growing and ideas keep on flowing, the Cinema Arts Club knows no limitations.

“I don’t think there are limitations on what it can be. I want to get it out there and be analyzed. I want to go to festivals and get picked up, or be remade into an even bigger project,” Palines said.

The movie is important for the club because it can set an example and show that with hard work and dedication, you can turn ideas into reality.

To Palines, the possibilities in taking the film to the next level are endless.

“The only limitations around you are the ones you put there,” Palines said.