The Upside of Anger depicts complexities of midlife crisis

For Terry Wolfmeyer (played by Joan Allen), life isn’t the picture- perfect experience it once was.

Her husband has left her and her four beautiful teenage daughters behind to move to Sweden with his Scandinavian secretary.

Alcohol seems to be the only outlet for her pain until her husband’s friend, former baseball player turned radio personality, Denny Davies (played by Kevin Costner), shows her how to let loose and appreciate her life.

The film begins with Terry, Denny and Popeye, the youngest of Terry’s daughters, in the backseat of a limo driving away from a funeral.

Mike Binder does a fine job directing this romantic comedy. Binder also has a supporting role as Denny’s scummy boss Shep, who thoroughly disgusts Terry after he becomes her daughter’s boyfriend, thanks to the introduction of Denny.

Viewers can relate to the story in one way or another: husbands leaving wives, turning to alcohol during heartache, daughters resenting their mothers controlling ways, making for a believable story.

Not only is the story believable, but the acting is credible as well.

Allen does a superb job of transitioning from a bitter middle-aged cynic to a warmer and more supportive mother to her daughter.

Costner also gives a great performance as the lovable Denny who brings the Wolfmeyer family together during a time of turmoil. He, like a good actor, stays true and genuine to his character throughout the film.

Erika Christensen, Evan Rachel Wood, Alicia Witt, and Kerry Russell play Terry’s four resentful daughters.

All four actresses also stay true to their characters throughout the film, each one with different dreams and aspirations.

Denny is a charming man who genuinely cares for Terry and her daughters and wants to take up where Grey, her former husband, left off.

Hadley, the oldest daughter, wants to live a happy life with her college sweetheart, despite her mother’s disapproval.

Andy, the second daughter, tries to pursue her dream of becoming a reporter without going to college, an idea that sends her mother over the edge.

Emily, the third daughter, wants to pursue her dreams of ballet dancing and still meet her mother’s approval.

The youngest, Popeye, has a puppy love crush on a bungee jumping schoolmate who for one reason or another doesn’t desire her back.

Although having a handful of depressing scenes, this comedy makes for an overall good movie with a positive message. As Popeye says, the upside of anger is the person you become.

Terry discovers that the anger she has for her husband, daughters and life in general has done no good. She will only be happy when she devotes herself to her relationship.

On Screen

What: “The Upside of Anger”: A family drama that revolves around the personal relationship of a mother and her four daughters.

Rated: R

Starring: Kevin Costner, Joan Allen, Keri Russell, Evan Rachel Wood

Bottom Line: The movie to see if you’re in for a good cry.