March supplies fountain-full of creative juices

The artist will starve no more.

With the annual Fine Arts Month springing up in March, aspiring artists and performers may get the lowdown on future educational options.

The fair will be held on the Music Lawn on Tuesday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

“This fair is definitely beneficial to students. The regular college fairs are wonderful, but having the art schools here is a real advantage,” fine arts counselor Elaine Moore said.

Sponsored by the Transfer Center, the fifth annual Fine Arts Month gives emphasis to four majors in the arts namely, dance, music, art and theater.

“We always get a lot of students participating,” Martinez said.

The month kicks off with a fine arts fair, where students may find out more about various art schools and programs.

The fair will pool together representatives from about 25 schools spanning the state.

The bulk of the participants are local art schools, such as Cal Arts, Art Center, Otis College of Art and Design and the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising.

More prominent university art programs will also be attending, such as UCLA Arts, CSULB’s art program and CSUF’s dance program.

Transfer adviser Rene Lozano finds that the fair gives art schools a needed boost of attention.

“Sometimes at the regular college fair, these schools get lost in the shuffle,” he said. “Now it’s their time to shine.”

Lozano and fellow transfer adviser Dianne Martinez are in charge of this year’s affairs.

Students who desire more in-depth information, such as portfolio and audition expectations, may attend one of the workshops held throughout the month. With a panel for each of the four emphases and three to six schools per panel, representatives and even professors from the visiting universities will shed light on the art school admissions process and will answer inquiries from the audience.

“All of the art schools nowadays are a little more competitive, but it depends on the program you enter,” Martinez said.

Art and theater majors boasts the most students, Martinez said, while fewer students express inclination to the musical field.

The transfer center will also hold campus tours of selected art schools (Cal Arts, Art Center, Laguna College of Art and Design and Otis College of Art and Design) throughout March.

The monthlong presentation has proven to be successful in the past.

“It creates that synergy to have (all of the activities) in one package,” Lozano added. “We tend to get more of a buzz going this way.”

Workshops and tour dates are scheduled through the month. The transfer center provides information that will be helpful to students who are planning to transfer soon.

“It creates that synergy to have [all of the activities] in one package,” Lozano added. “We tend to get more of a buzz going this way.”