Campus police takes more safety precautions at EC

Taylor Smith, police cadet, welcomes a student onto the shuttle which is available from 5 to 10:30 p.m.

With the crime rate going up at an alarming rate around EC, accoridng to the Los Angeles Times, the campus police is cautious about students’ safety on campus, urging students to stay aware of their surroundings.

According to the Los Angeles Times, property and violent crimes have increased in the past six months in the nearby and surrounding areas, including the neighboring Alondra Park.

“What many students may not know is our pollice cadets are not only giving out tickets, but they are constantly doing their routine checks and observing any possible dangers on campus,” Sgt. Dal Toruno of the campus police said.

Toruno said that the cadets and the other police officers take safety very seriously on campus and have created a close bond with their surrounding agencies in case of serious emergencies.

The campus has many features and services to keep the students safe, he added.

“Students have many features like the phones found in the parking lots, there are phones provided inside the buildings.  There are surveillance cameras around campus that helped in other cases,” Toruno said.

“For night students there is a shuttle provided from 5 to 10:30 p.m. Once the shuttle closes, students can call for a police officer to escort them to their vehicle. It may take longer or they may be busy but someone will come out; students are always welcome.”

Toruno said that key and flat tire services are also offered to students who may need them.

However, despite the cadets, students are cautious about their safety and are not taking any risks.

“I don’t have any night classes but if I did, I wouldn’t walk alone to my car.  I would use the buddy system or park near the building my classes are in,” Guadalupe Gonzalez, 21, chemistry major said.

According to the Campus Police website, students should also know where the EC code blue phone stations are located, and use discretion and caution when walking through shortcuts on campus.

“Just to be on the safe side I think all women should carry a bottle of pepper spray with them,” Daniel Miller, 20, undecided major, said. “You never know who is watching.”